carry a large fixed blade comfortably

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I really dislike a big knife hanging off my belt. With the upcoming trip to Hawk Mountain next month with minimal packing in mind, I needed a way to carry my knife off my pack. If you wear pants with a hammer loop, side pockets or both, this is a great way to carry that big knife without it getting in the way. I looped a piece of 550 cord through the belt loop of the sheath and hooked it with a carbiner on the belt loop of my pants. The sheath is inside the hammer loop. My Carhartts have a side pocket below the hammer loop so the sheath can go in that pocket through the hammer loop.
Scott

Picture170.jpg

That is neat, but i remember putting my thumb in a jean belt loop and it ripped right off, It probably wouldn't happen with carharts but it is a consideration with cheap pants.

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
As long as the sheath isn't too wide, it can also go in the side tool pocket on the right. I normally carry a small fixed blade in there all the time. These are Dickies carpenter pants. The hammer loops are strong.
Scott

and iff you have the carharts, you can put a fixed blade on the right, and a flat (like a Becker necker) behind it in the second smaller pocket, and a small fixed blade or folder int he eft side.

Don't have a picture right now but since i have to use a walking stick because of a balance problem, I often lash my big knife sheath to my walking stick. The only other way I carry a large knife is the bandoleer style if that's what you call it, across my chest.

thats a pretty cool idea. i do a similar thing with my gransfors small forest axe, but i attach the sheath regularly and put the handle under the hammer loop so it dosent move around so much

That is neat, but i remember putting my thumb in a jean belt loop and it ripped right off, It probably wouldn't happen with carharts but it is a consideration with cheap pants.

If you're worried about that, you can attach the caribeaner to the belt itself, or put a double loop in some 550 cord and put one loop on either side of the belt loop (to use it as a belt keeper), with the loops attached directly to the belt.

Bufford

Gold Member
Make a double belt loop gun holster style sheath. These hold larger heavier knives nice and tight to the body on your belt. They provide a nice re assuring fit, where the knife doesn't flop around.

I've started carrying baldric style"
DSC01904.jpg

You can just see it hanging under my left arm in this pic. Very comfortable.
007_20A.jpg

Andy