carry laws on CA college campuses

ive been reading on the california knife laws for carrying on a college campus just to see if it would be ok if i had my edc on me when i go to school and im getting a little lost in the legal speak.

"(b) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer, etc, etc, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in
a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison."

the part that gets me if the "knife with a fixed blade of 2 1/2 inches"
does this mean that folding knives dont have a length limit at california colleges? thanks for any help

technically ca doesn't regulate folding knives on campus but make sure to check the schools security policy they often have a rule about blades in general

It's a little anecdotal, but I carried my SAK (2 7/8" blade) all through college (San Diego) without ever getting hasseled.

A Spyderco Military or other "tactical" knive might cause trouble. But, for "civilian" knives, I can't see there being a problem unless there's already a problem (e.g. drunk and loud).

It's a little anecdotal, but I carried my SAK (2 7/8" blade) all through college (San Diego) without ever getting hasseled.

A Spyderco Military or other "tactical" knive might cause trouble. But, for "civilian" knives, I can't see there being a problem unless there's already a problem (e.g. drunk and loud).
Forget the clip and drop the folder deep into your strong-side pocket. Doesn't matter as to how it looks if the folder is completely concealed from view. This is how I carried a 3 3/4" Gerber FS II lockblade folder through all four years of college without incident. Keeping a low profile while carrying is of the utmost importance.

Check with the campus police. Technically, that law would prohibit steak knives in dorm rooms as well; which probably was not its intent.

Usually not the knives specifically are forbidden on campus territory but the weapon including blades longer than 2 1/2 inches.Just check if your knife qualifies as a weapon according to the campus laws.

Usually not the knives specifically are forbidden on campus territory but the weapon including blades longer than 2 1/2 inches.Just check if your knife qualifies as a weapon according to the campus laws.

This isn't bad advice, but this thread is nearly 10 years old. I suspect the OP has either graduated or given up by now. ;)

Back