1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Carry Rig Suggestions

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Cold Iron Eyes, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Cold Iron Eyes

Cold Iron Eyes

Jun 1, 2011
    Hey fellas,

Finally scored my ideal Steel Heart; I need a carry rig. Was thinking about baldric carry or open to any recommendations really. I carry my sidearm in a Safariland right thigh holster, so that slot is taken. I’m in the woods a lot. Thanks

2. Thesian

Thesian Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Not sure which steel heart you have (6", 8", thickness etc.) but for that general size, I really like horizontal behind-the-back belt carry. Like you I am right handed and carry a pistol on my right. This still allows nice right hand primary access. Only down side is it's in your back when seated with a back rest. For hiking or woods use though, this is my go to. My 2 cents...

Currawong likes this.
  3. Mick Boardman

Mick Boardman Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2020
    This setup works well, it takes the weight off my belt and I can adjust the strap for exactly where I want the blade to be. Works like a shoulder holster. The sheath is Patriot Leather and the strap is a standard highway patrolman gun belt shoulder strap. 6C5D3322-C9A0-4D02-9291-E67372DB0F38.jpeg

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  4. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Can't believe it hasn't been said yet, but uhmm, pics?

Winston

Dangerneck, FAL'ER and Mick Boardman like this.
  5. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2012
    While I can agree that there is a lot of benefit to carrying this way, I cannot recommend it due the liability of falling with a hard object over your spine (knife/sheath). This can be lethal, considering one may not be able to self rescue if injured severely enough. Even in the city, how much is your spine worth to you?

duramax and Mick Boardman like this.
  6. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Yep.

7. Thesian

Jun 11, 2008
    You know, I never really thought much about that, but it makes sense. Actually, now that I think about it, I can't think of any place on my body that I want to fall on a SH.

8. Dangerneck

Dangerneck Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Put a right handed sheath set up on your left side. This will allow you to draw the blade in a reverse grip fashion, blade down. You can also draw the blade normally (knuckles inward towards the body, elbow chicken winged). That's my standard setup, armed or not.

9. Maggot Brain

Jun 11, 2012
    Trust me when I say while any place would suck, some REALLY suck a whole lot more than the others.

10. Cold Iron Eyes

Cold Iron Eyes

Jun 1, 2011
    Guess I should have led with this... I said Steel Heart for brevities sake. She’s a beaut. Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

[​IMG]

11. Mick Boardman

Mick Boardman Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Nuclear nano fusion forsaken steel heart

FAL'ER likes this.
  12. Currawong

Currawong Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 19, 2012
    This is worth considering. But how would you injure your spine from horizontal carry? I'm trying to picture the scenario. If you belt carry, it more or less sits at the top of your pelvis, not in the middle of your spine.

I carry like this while bushwhacking so I'm interested.

13. Thesian

Jun 11, 2008
    I think the original concern with behind the back carry fame from police who traditionally carried their cuffs in this spot. If they got tackled on there back, that pressure on the lower lumbar with the cuffs and case applying spine pressure could lead to bad things up to and including paralyzation from spine damage.

14. Maggot Brain

Jun 11, 2012
    Well, without getting into the specifics or your exact rig and body... it's possible it's entirely safe for you. That said, I'd be skeptical of anything back there especially considering things sometimes shift a bit with movement/struggle/etc. It's not to say you will have this happen, but as quoted below... it is a well documented phenomena at this point. Kinda like saying a seat belt won't always protect you, I'd rather not take a chance by choosing not to wear one.

15. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    Makes sense, thanks.

When bushwhacking I'd have to be doing something badly wrong to get tackled by someone, so I might be okay.

PeteyTwoPointOne and ironwagon like this.
  16. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    It's a good thing to think about it. My mate talks about 'cheap lessons' and 'expensive lessons'. That is, you learn from your mistakes, but some mistakes are more expensive than others. This could be an expensive one.

17. Thesian

Jun 11, 2008
    But you do see how cool the Jurassic World raptor wrangler looks?
    upload_2020-9-17_19-31-47.jpeg

18. 6850

6850 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Look up carry suggestions from David at BuyBrown custom Kydex...
    He has posted some cool stuff in the past!!

19. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Good for you that the dreaded drop bear's preferred angle of attack is from behind and slightly above their quarry, so you're more likely to land on your stomach than on your lumbar region when they pounce!

20. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    If I am hit by a dropbear it will not be my knife position I am worried about !