Carry solution for H.E.S.T.

Recently my standard work uniform switched from utilities to a flight suit. Without a belt and hip pockets I had to figure out a new way to carry my Hest as well as other knives. This is what I came up with this morning. I'm also waiting on a sheath from the shotgunners which will open up some more possibilities for me.

P9020067.jpg

One nice thing about the flight suit is that theres no need to blouse your trousers over your boots. This lends itself well to boot carry of fixed blades. I tried it before with a Ka-Bar TDI but the boot clip was garbage and I gave up on that idea quickly. Also, in the training command I'm at our flight gear is stored in a way that is easily accessible to military, civilians, and gear thieves alike. Nobody really puts good equipment on their survival vests for fear of having it stolen. (I have a the giant issue 2 D Cell flashlight on my vest for the same reason.) Otherwise I'd probably already have an ESEE 5 and some sort of high speed light tucked into my airsafe vest. Since my A/O is Texas and the Gulf of Mexico, I think the HEST will suffice in the event I have to bailout. A cell phone is probably the only survival gear I'd have the chance to use anyway :cool: As far as ditching or bailing out over water, I'd be happy to have a smaller lighter knife if I end up having to tread or swim.

Also trying out a new camera, since everyone likes pics.

P9020070.jpg

P9020085.jpg

P9020077.jpg

P9020088.jpg

Thanks for playing.

That's a slick set up for attaching your HEST to your boot, really simple too. Nice pics of your gear.

Semper Fi brother!

Thanks, I started stripping it to refinish it and then kinda gave up when I started getting busy with work again. Eventually I'll get around to it. Sure is a nice piece tho, few hundred rounds through it without any hiccups yet.

nice tastes, 26 and a 19 sweet.. I have a fenix ld20 was thinking about getting that model. how do you like it?

looks like you must have something in the handles of your HEST :0) I see you're carrying the washer.......

also have you tried Talon grips for your glocks? if not check em out.. a little rough on the carry but grips like mad, have them on mine and its an improvement on the 26 for sure....

Pretty cool set up there Lt. Does the handle rub the leg at all?

Thanks, and no I wore it all day today without any rubbing. I do have some skinny chicken legs though, so that probably helps. At first the ball on the side of my ankle had a bit of pressure but I rotated the knife forward a half inch or so and all was well. I really like this method over having folders dangling from flight suit pockets that should be zipped closed anyway. Can't be lookin' nasty.

nice tastes, 26 and a 19 sweet.. I have a fenix ld20 was thinking about getting that model. how do you like it?

looks like you must have something in the handles of your HEST :0) I see you're carrying the washer.......

also have you tried Talon grips for your glocks? if not check em out.. a little rough on the carry but grips like mad, have them on mine and its an improvement on the 26 for sure....

I just got the fenix off of REI outlet. Its the L0D, I dont think they're sold in most places anymore. 75 lumens compared to 15 or 20 on the new solitaire sized ones on the fenix site. I got it for just over 20 bucks I believe, the deal might still be going. I have the LD10 and the modes are pretty intuitive to rotate through after using that one, only you're twisting instead of pushing the switch, obviously. Its a handy little guy, I keep it in the shroud cutter pocket on my flight suit. Also perfect for an altoid tin.

As for the Hest, you guessed it. 20 bucks, fishing line sinker and hook, and a tiny firesteel.

Thats actually a Glock 27, and I haven't tried those grips yet. I do carry it mostly iwb under tshirts and the handle rides against my skin (too hot for undershirts here in Corpus Christi) so I like the smoother grips for that. I do have a GAP floorplate on my carry magazine for it. If you haven't looked at those, they're a low profile alternative to the pinky extenders. In my experience it really helps with the draw, almost like the prybar does for the Hest. I have also been considering a full size glock either 17 or 22 with the Rough Texture Frame. I've fondled them at gun shows and I really like the grip those provide. That's probly going to have to wait now that I've developed a knife obsession.

Good looking set up, I've always thought boot knives were pretty neat. What's your "job" anyway?

I'm not a pilot or no crap about planes but I thought that was an old like WWII plane or something.

MarineAir,

The GAP floor plates are the only way to go.. Don't care for the pinky extender, may as well carry full size grip..

I have 2 NIB Glock 27 9 rd mags if you're in need of a good deal.. let me know.

Hahaha, yea they're old as hell, but not quite WWII old. They're in the process of replacing them all with the new T-6 Texan 2. Unfortunately here in Texas we'll be the last units to get the new birds.

I think theres an older piston engine version that you might be thinking of. The ones we have are turbo props, so they at least have a place in this century... kindof.

TheLastDaze,

Thanks for the offer, I'm all set on mags. Actually considering switching to a 26 down the road to have one less caliber to buy.

Lol good to go. Like I said not an plane guy. That cool though I always wanted to fly but my vision held me back. Luckily you don't have to see great to pull triggers.

Back