Carrying a folder in back pocket?

Ran into a topic about how people carry their knives on another forum. What got me thinking was the amount of people who said they carried their knife in their backpocket. Now, AFAIK, the back pocket is the easiest to pick. So those of you who do this, aren't you afraid of thieves? (Just a thought...)

------------------
Tony S.

Just visiting this planet

Yes. So I wear my shirt tails out.
smile.gif

Blades

That's why I always carry a backup knife or two or three.

Actually my favorite carry position for a folding knife with a clip is clipped to my pants inside at the center of my back at the beltline. It would be very difficult for someone to try to steal it without my feeling it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tony S:
Ran into a topic about how people carry their knives on another forum. What got me thinking was the amount of people who said they carried their knife in their backpocket. Now, AFAIK, the back pocket is the easiest to pick. So those of you who do this, aren't you afraid of thieves? (Just a thought...)

</font>

Heck, most people carry their wallets back there, never mind their knives. The reasons I don't carry a knife there are two-fold. First, I'm afraid I'll bend the handle. I've seen it happen on several knives. Second, if I wear it clipped to the pocket, the clip will catch on padded seats etc. At least in my experience.

The only knives I carry in my back pocket are large folders like the Schrade LB7 or Schrade Outback. The both are rather large and heavy knives so I think I would feel it being lifted. The trick is to not let anyone get that close to you. If others are that close to my butt then I probably would have my hand on my knife anyway. The only times I ever worried about pick-pockets was in Korea (constantly) and New Orleans for Mardi Gras.

If I'm carrying anything over 3 1/2" closed, un-clipped, I prefer the back pocket. It rides right at the bottom of the pocket and still gives easy access.

Paul

I carry a CRKT M16-03Z in my back left pocket all the time. I always have either a shirt or jacket that's hanging down over the top of the pocket. And that knife has a tight clip and a really rough left thumb stud; it takes quite a yank to get it out of the pocket. Ain't no way someone could lift it w/o me noticing. I'd be more worried about my wallet than someone stealing that knife anyway. But I've never been pickpocketed, never even close AFAIK. Have a lot of people here had problems w/pickpockets?

Occassionally it catches on a padded seat, but I always check for that now and no problems recently.

BTW- this is the only knife I own that is comfortable to carry in that pocket. And I always carry other knives as well.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Paradise lies in the shadow of swords." - Nietzsche

People see me coming and think I look crazy
so they move to the other side of the street
thus there is no one to sneak up on me
biggrin.gif

------------------
JimBob

I carry my BM 750 in my back pocket always. Sometimes it gets uncomfortable on long drives, and I take it out. Or the clip scratches the car, etc. Mostly the clip dents our Hitchcock dining room chairs (wood). I unclip it and let it hang in the bottom of the pocket a lot, to avoid damage, and for discreetness. I usually have my Buck stockman in my front pocket and my Little Camper around my neck. I don't think the Ti handles on the Pinnacle will bend, will they? I dont let people get too close to my hind side, so I'm not worried about pickpockets. If I catch someone touching my pocket, I will ruin their day.
smile.gif

------------------
A knife is by default a tool, it's only a weapon when a human chooses to make it so.

[This message has been edited by Kellster (edited 01-14-2001).]

Carry the larger knives back there.[710,875,600]

------------------

have a"knife"day

Buck Lightining fits best in the back pocket
smile.gif
If it seems that I'm in a position that my Knife would be lifted, I really need to start paying more attention to all of my surroundings.
Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Knives are Tools, Until they are used as weapons.
http://www.alansattik.twoffice.com
View

ColdSteel 1/11th Fulda. 81-83 ALLONS

You can also carry a folder either inside your waist-band with the belt over the pocket-clip, or with the pocket-clip inside your waist-band, and the knife under your belt. I have carried my Cold Steel Extra-LARGE Gunsite Folder both ways with no problems.

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

It depends what kind of pants I am wearing. If the pants allow me to keep it in my front pockets then I do. But I find sometimes that if the pockets are to low that the knife finds it's way out of my pocket and lost into the black hole of the sofa. In that case I keep it in my back pocket. It's a little uncomfortable, but it's better than losing your knife!

THANKS!!!

-NAN-

------------------

-War alone keys up all human energies to their maximum tension and sets the seal of nobility on those people who have the courage to face it -Benito Mussolini-

AFAIK = as far as I know

I always carry a Leopard Cub, unclipped, in my back pocket and a BM 330 in my shirt pocket.

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited 01-16-2001).]

I first carried my BM Leopard in my right front pocket, until the new pocket clip caught and ripped the side of my thumb as I swung my arm in a normal walking fashion. Then I moved it to the back right pocket where it sat comfortably, until I was wearing it in church and as I sat down the pocket clip gouged a scratch into the pew! After that I carried it in that back pocket unless I was getting ready for church; then it got to stay at home and my SAK Soldier got to ride along. Also, I wasn't worried about anybody picking it out of my pocket, the clip was a strong enough spring that it stayed there almost always.

Back