Carrying a Swiss army knife for EDC

Most of the time, a Classic is my knife. Oh threw an Exec in my pocket today because of that 75mm thread running currently. I am in an office most days, so 8 don't have much use for any pocket knife, really .

I carry a SAC compact as a back up blade. I do carry the compact by its self once in a while.
I just purchased a used climber off the bay and some plus scales can’t wait to start carrying it.

Most of the time, a Classic is my knife. Oh threw an Exec in my pocket today because of that 75mm thread running currently. I am in an office most days, so 8 don't have much use for any pocket knife, really .

Got you to get that Executive out for a spin hey? ;)

Yeah, just for kicks. It's a good knife. But I like the Classic more, if only for its dinky size. I like the file on the Classic more, too

Today as last 4 or 5 years has, do to this forum,a alox electrcian.And after today a executive.You cannot beat a SAK for edc,there is always something that needs fixed,loose screws etc.

Today as last 4 or 5 years has, do to this forum,a alox electrcian.And after today a executive.You cannot beat a SAK for edc,there is always something that needs fixed,loose screws etc.

Sooooo many times it was just that; a screw driver was needed. And very often was literally the middle nowhere. When my Vespa PX150 dropped dead on me it was on a Dirt road that was going to come out to a pace called White's Ferry, eventually. Just went dead. No lights, ignition, nothing. Zilch, zip, Bupkis.

I started at the simplest spot, the battery and worked my way back from there. Right off, I found the positive battery cable had worked loose from the vibration of the bad road surface, and using the screw driver on my SAK I reattached it. Lights came back on, and when I kicked the starter it buzzed away. Off I went. Another time on a backpacking trip on the Appellation Trail in the Shenandoah mountains, my AA mini mag got dim on the third night. I had two spare batteries in my pack I had brought along since I knew the batteries in the light had been in there for a while, but were still bright when I stared off. Problem was, I could't unscrew the end to replace the batteries. Didn't have a pliers so I used my Victorinox pioneer. The bottle opener hooked the part of the bottom where the lanyard ring goes, and like opening a bottle, I just twisted the bottom off. Replace the batteries and just screwed the bottom on finger tight. The SAK bottle opener worked great. The can opener also makes a great pull tool for pulling put the retaining pin on a trailer hitch under the back of my truck.

It's great to have a SAK in the pocket for life's little emergencies!:thumbsup:

Sooooo many times it was just that; a screw driver was needed.

It's great to have a SAK in the pocket for life's little emergencies!:thumbsup:

Or, in my case, often it is the scissors to put in order some part of my beard bothering me. Completely agree that it very important to have a SAK in the pocket. In fact, I sometimes don't take any knife with me when I need to fly somewhere just for a couple of days such as to avoid having to check in my bag and I feel as if undressed. It feels weird. I don't how my work colleagues stand going about without a SAK in their pocket. Maybe because they know that I always have one :cool:

For the past few months it’s been a Pioneer X. This knife brings me back to 1980 which was the last year that I carried any SAK. It’s also been very useful day to day and even more so than my original OC Electrician.

Or, in my case, often it is the scissors to put in order some part of my beard bothering me. Completely agree that it very important to have a SAK in the pocket. In fact, I sometimes don't take any knife with me when I need to fly somewhere just for a couple of days such as to avoid having to check in my bag and I feel as if undressed. It feels weird. I don't how my work colleagues stand going about without a SAK in their pocket. Maybe because they know that I always have one :cool:
The 58mm scissors are awesome for nosehair, too. The SD tip on the file, and the sand paper file itself, is the reason I carry the Classic more than the Exec.

Classic on my keychain at all times. Often carry another SAK, usually a Huntsman or Fieldmaster for trips away, but in town either a Pioneer or Pioneer X. Love the Farmer as well, when I have an excuse..!

I used to carry some kind of traditional knife in any pattern for many many years.

But for the last two years I swap between a Climber, Rambler or Compact on a daily basis.

They do all I need an just very low in maintaining...

So I do carry a SAK for EDC and this for almost several years. Never leaving home w/o knife and watch ;)

I have a rambler on my keychain as a backup tool
When I go for hiking I usually pack a Spartan or a Climber in my backpack

Explorer in the EDC bag, and either compact or pioneer X for pocket carry, love me some Vic scissors!

upload_2019-4-26_21-49-8.jpeg
One just like this Champion Plus in an old Victorinox sheath goes with me 90% of the time. I use the Spartan when i want in pocket carry but think a Climber would be better as its a Spartan with scissors.

Carrying a Vic SAK is kind of boring on a knife forum. But that is what I do. Threads... what edc should I buy? Answer, Vic SAK of your choosing.

I presently carry a Vic Small Tinker. A Tinker was the very first SAK I carried back in the 80's and I found it extremely useful in my day to day activities. I migrated to alox Soldier in the early 90's for a couple years. It was okay. From there, I saw a Vic Adventurer (111mm side lock model) at a gunshow and bought it. I wanted something a little larger at the time than the Tinker or Soldier. Carried that model for probably 15 years just about every day. I have several new ones in reserve should I need one. But last year, I wanted to explore "smaller is enough" and carried a Case Peanut for a while. Then I slipped the Small Tinker in my pocket and the Peanut got bounced. Just more comfortable with something a tad larger than the peanut. But I like Peanuts in general and could see myself carrying one or carrying one as a second knife.

I have discovered that the Small Tinker is "enough" for my day to day needs. For a while I carried a modern too and it varied. That was fun. Still do from time to time. But I have pretty much settled on the Small Tinker now. Probably will buy another one to keep in reserve should I loose the one in my pocket. To me, that action tells the whole story.... willing to buy a spare; you must like and depend on the knife.

I like being able to keep my knife in my watch pocket when wearing jeans. Not as handy there, but it is somewhat protected in that space. The watch pocket was seldom used with pants prior to this. Coins are too much trouble to retrieve from there. Pocket space is generally at a premium. I carry two sets of keys with one set having a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt attached. It is also easier to carry a second knife if I keep my knife in a watch pocket.

When a bit younger, I always wanted a knife that pretty much fit my hand (for power cuts). This has changed as I see few instances any more where I really have to do "power cuts". Those happen more than anything in the woods.

I own probably 10 different SAK models. I do have a choices. I like the Electrician quite a bit. I often will slip the One Handed Trekker into my carry bag if I am out in the woods puttering around or hiking along with the Small Tinker and a fixed blade. The saw is useful at times. The fixed blade varies with my mood more than anything as I have more than a few choices in that department. Of late, it has been a Kephart or White River Backpacker Pro on my belt. Seldom use or need a fixed blade quite frankly.

1A6D8487-DC64-47CF-915A-0918FAD1362B.jpeg Every work day I have this Vic Soldier with Trekker scales.
Also every day I have a Classic on my keychain so Victorinox is a part of my edc.

When a bit younger, I always wanted a knife that pretty much fit my hand (for power cuts). This has changed as I see few instances any more where I really have to do "power cuts". Those happen more than anything in the woods.

Yeah, the old specter of power cuts.:D

When I was young, or at least much younger than I am now, I used to worry about being prepared for the power cut. For years and years I carried a larger knife just in case I needed to 'power cut.' But since most times I did need to, and I was in the woods, Had a much better tool on hand. It was called a sheath knife. An old stacked leather handle little Finn, or my old Buck 102 woodsman. As I aged, I learned to cheat and carried a folding saw or a SAK with a saw blade. It took me a very long time to learn that my old man was right about most stuff he tried to get into my hard head.

Around the house I keep an old Stanley 99 in the kitchen drawer for breaking down a box for the recycle bin, or other dirty work. My EDC since last July, the 74mm executive is used much like my old Case peanut or Victorinox classic, the light duty cutting that is 99% of most pocket knife jobs. Opening a package, opening my mail, cutting twine for the garden, opening a bag of mulch or potting soil. And since the executive has a good nail file, it cleans up my nails after a session in the garden. To me, the executive is a peanut with some tool capacity but in.

Being a devout minimalist for most my life, I've always subscribed to the theory of "Don't go overboard, just enough will do." I watched my dad go through his life with a Colt .22 Woodsman and a Case peanut in his pocket. I've managed to make it to a depressingly old age with a Smith and Wesson .22 kit gun and a SAK of some sort. Of late the smaller SAK of 74mm. It seems to be working out. If I need a power cut, then I've definitely lost my mind and forget all about the notch and break cutting that Mr. Van pounded into our young minds. Finesse over power. Cut a notched stress ring and just break it off. May take an extra minute, but it's way easier on an old farts arthritis.:D

I usually have a fixed blade with me in the woods in the event I need to push through a difficult cut. Even there, it doesn't happen often and I will often have the Vic One Handed Trekker in my carry bag (back pack, shoulder bag, camera bag, whatever). It handles stuff nicely with the saw. Not going to cut down a 4" tree with it, but why would I?

I'm not much of a whittler.... really don't care about doing many of the woodscraft things that people talk about. Start fires.... bic lighter with back up matches to the rescue. I even carry tinder with me.

You are the one ( J jackknife ) that convinced me to give a peanut a try. The stag Case was my very first Peanut. Beautiful little knife! After carrying it a while, I bumped the size up just a little with the Small Tinker and I'm comfortable that I can handle 99% of everything I normally cut with a knife. Still fits in my coin/watch pocket. I don't even cut walking sticks any more as I carry a trekking pole. Never really think of weapons in the woods other than guns and yeah, I like 22's.

I grew up with SAKs, but honestly I’d take a Leatherman any day. Most models have locking tools, thicker blades, they just all around feel heavier duty imo.

Got the Skeletool CX in my edc rotation and a Wave with the screwdriver bits that lives full time in my pickup

Back