Carrying the computer decorated Sebenza

Please excuse me if I've asked this here before. I've asked it somewhere and I don't remember where.
At the last Louisville gun show there were a couple of tables selling new Sebenzas. This was the first time I had ever seen Sebenzas at one of our gun shows, so naturally I stopped and had a conversation with the venders. I showed them my Small Plain and both of them whipped out their decorated models. The surprising thing was that neither guy was using the soft leather pouch. They both told me that they had NEVER used the pouch and had kept their Sebbies in their pockets with keys and so forth and the knives had always looked fine.
I have always thought that you had to use the pouch or the decoration would come off. Opinions please??

Thanks,
Will

Decoration is cut in and the anodization is down inside the well so to speak. So the depth helps to protect the colour. But I would certainly think that the smooth finish of the top section would suffer greatly! And that'd break anyone's heart! I'll bet they don't just throw their keys in there!!

G2

I agree with Gary that the polished top section of the knife would probably be marked up quickly by the keys. I have carried a small line drive graphic model in a G2 sheath for almost a year now, and it looks as good as the day it was received from CRK.

However, I couldn't just stand there and call them liars! They both handed me their decorated Sebenzas which were still warm from their body heat, to inspect. So, I had no doubt that the knives had been in their pockets for a while.
An interesting side note was, while both Sebbies had the "Solar Wind" design, one of the knives had gold stars! It about took my breath away!

Will

hehe, just don't go telling them....Gary said you guys were liars!....that wouldn't go over very well either! But I'm sure they carry them in their pockets but what I doubt is that they put a lot of other junk in there with it.

Your comment about still warm reminded me of a line from Ferris Beuller's Day Off, when the little girl in the end offered the beaten Principle a gummy bear, it's warm and has been in her pocket all day ;)

G2
and this quote from the movie always tickled me...sorry for running off subject here.....:D

Economics Teacher: Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Simone: Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Economics Teacher: Thank you, Simone

Simone: No problem whatsoever.

I remember that line, too. That movie ALWAYS cracks me up!
Back to the knives. Both of these honest-looking guys told me that, yes they do put the knives in their pockets with keys and other junk. Maybe they just had not been carrying their Sebbies long enough for scratches to show and decoration to go away. As I was looking at the polished side of the knives (where the decoration is), there were NO mars of any type. I think maybe that polished side DOESN'T show scratches very easily. Any agreement here?

Will

I have a rising moon small CCG. The polished side will show faint scratches even if you don't carry change in your pocket. The same goes with the NICA tanto also. Try as I might, small scratches appear. The change sits at the botom of the pocket and the knife rides at the the top. I think these guys are pulling your leg. But I say, carry the knife and once you are over the first few scratches, it won't hurt so bad. They are very faint and can only be seen if you hold it in the light at a certain angle. Maybe over time a patina will develop. The polished side will scratch just by looking at it.

There is a reason that they call "little marks on a knife" ~ character marks !

I carry my large Sebenza with anodized "Trailing Moon" clipped to my pocket all the time. My coin purse and keys do go in the same pocket. A few months of that doesn't seem to have added anything more than fine "character" scratches to the design. It is true that the clip keeps the knife up above the keys pretty well, so they don't come into contact very often.

--Bob Q

Back