carved scabbards

Uncle will have to fill in the blanks, but other than a couple of Falcatas, I believe they are "special order" all the way around. They are excellent examples of Newari carving.

Thanks Walosi - in part I was wondering if the Newaris in question were still doing the carved scabbards.

They were as of Uncle's price change on the carved Falcata scabbards (two months ago, + or - ??) I've seen or heard of no "activity" in that area, but local stirrings wouldn't make outside news media. I would guess their situation would be day-to-day, as it is with BirGorkha.

Uncle Bill
What kind of carving are available on the handles and the scabbard. I saw something on your web page, but nothing detailed and no price is available. Actaully, I would like to get a carved wood scabbard if it's available.:) Can you post some carved handle/scabbards if you have it? Thanks

some examples are here:

http://www.tx3.net/~howardw/Khukuris/carving.htm

and here's my garud-handled khukuri:

hi-garud-01.jpg

hi-garud-02.jpg

hi-garud-03.jpg

Even the simple ones can be elegant.

Attachments

• khukuri carved wooden sheath.jpg
    khukuri carved wooden sheath.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 147
Thanks for the picture and link Beoram. That bird handle looks really cute. How did you end up with that design, did you specify you wanted a bird, was it a PGA, or did you ask for a carved handle and ended up with it? The carved scabbard on that link looks excellent:cool:

Originally posted by Abear
Thanks for the picture and link Beoram. That bird handle looks really cute. How did you end up with that design, did you specify you wanted a bird, was it a PGA, or did you ask for a carved handle and ended up with it? The carved scabbard on that link looks excellent:cool:

It's actually a dragon (though a bird-like dragon). In any case, it is a particular khukuri offered by HI, the Garud Ang Khola:

http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_itemHome.jsp?sid=95360&lid=24972441&mode=1

HI has another elaborate carved khuk on standing offer, Hanuman khukuri.

And there's also a silver-mounted, carved handle ang khola in the shop listing too.

...an Eagle. Uncle once noted that the kamis use "Garud" for dragon (which, in Nepali is about 18 letters long, and all consonants:)). The Newari carvers, however, have sometimes used "Garuda", a mythical Hindu figure, as the subject of the Garud Ang Khola. He was a man, who had the power to change his form into and eagle, and as such acted as transportation for one of the gods. There seems to be some reluctance to carve a serpent or snake, unless it is being chomped on by Chhepu, the protective demon. Suits me - don't particulary care for serpents, large or small.

I remember seeing that one in Catoosa -- a beauty.

Uncle Bill,

If you could get that kind of scabbard onto a khanjarli(!), I'll take it (who cares about debt?)! :D

Originally posted by Walosi
...an Eagle. Uncle once noted that the kamis use "Garud" for dragon (which, in Nepali is about 18 letters long, and all consonants:)). The Newari carvers, however, have sometimes used "Garuda", a mythical Hindu figure, as the subject of the Garud Ang Khola. He was a man, who had the power to change his form into and eagle, and as such acted as transportation for one of the gods. There seems to be some reluctance to carve a serpent or snake, unless it is being chomped on by Chhepu, the protective demon. Suits me - don't particulary care for serpents, large or small.

OH, Garuda, of course! How silly of me - Garuda of course rescues Rama in the eponymous Ramayana.

Thanks for the correction Walosi... :eek: :eek:

B.

Those are all beautiful carvings. But I did notice most of them are in wood. How difficult is it to carve in horn? I don't know how many would agree or disagree with me, but won't a carve horn handle look weird with a carved wood scabbard? What would be a good matching scabbard for a horn handle. One of the fancy Dhankuta, Kothimoda, leather, or carved horn? if something like that is made.

Speaking of carved horn handled things. ... DAVE, did you finish that roll of film on your disposable yet? :).

Alan

Originally posted by Abear
Those are all beautiful carvings. But I did notice most of them are in wood. How difficult is it to carve in horn? I don't know how many would agree or disagree with me, but won't a carve horn handle look weird with a carved wood scabbard? What would be a good matching scabbard for a horn handle. One of the fancy Dhankuta, Kothimoda, leather, or carved horn? if something like that is made.

If you want a carved horn handle & a fancy scabbard - you could always take something like the decorated horn scabbard like the Royal dhankuta one:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199638

Back