Carving/Whittling Projects

Jonny D

Gold Member
Just seeing if anyone would like a place to post their carvings and whittling projects in progress or complete.
image_zpsdaf58452.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is my first attempt at a tobacco pipe tamper with a wood spirit/gnome face. If there is already a thread like this let me know please.:D

I used to "whittle" stone and a bit of wood. Here are a couple of early First Nations Pipe bowls, a little owl and a small Haida pole that I put aside a few years ago. I think I have posted the inlay work before , a Navajo Yei person in different stones. I use the coping blade in the bottom picture for most of my whittling.

Best regards

Robin

Last edited:
Hey folks, make sure you include the traditional knife or knives you used to carve/whittle your project so we can keep this here. Thanks!

Pretty neat stuff I'm seeing. I used to whittle some when I was a kid in Boy Scouts but haven't in a long time. Maybe this will get me interested again.

Here's some of my favorite knives and whittlin' projects from a few years ago before I broke my hand.
IMG_21011_zps16ca49fe.jpg

I won a Conductor whittler in a giveaway here, and the stipulation for the winner was to actually whittle something. This was my attempt, a dolphin's head. The diamond steel shown was used a couple times during the carving to keep the edge razor sharp.

1stWhittle_zps5cc6e0c9.jpg~original

I usually have a few little projects going at any time. It seems rare to actually finish anything though, but I whittle to relax, not necessarily with any goal in mind.

I've been working on the little squirrel on & off (more off than on...) for about 6 months. The spoon & chain were done sitting around the campfire during the last camping trip. I make the little mushrooms all the time, they're just fast & simple.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ojZ1TU]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oBtt1i]

I want to try to try whittling. I have a whittled pattern from Boker and when I bought it I had good intentions. I guess I should put my intentions to good use.

I'm no photographer... But here's a chess set I started on just over a year ago, using jenga-style blocks. I'm really liking the Mora I got back in June.

Here are a couple of olive wood pipe tampers I made:

Dink_zps12500685.jpg

Here is a ball in a cage and a wooden chain project behind it:

BIC_zps0ea406d1.jpg

My Dad was a whittler and one of my Boy Scout leaders back in the 1960's; he taught us how to whittle (more or less successfully). Several years ago he gave me a big bag of sawn-out blocks that we used to whittle on. I took one of the Indian Chief letter openers and whittled it out just for old times sake - it was fun. The Sheepfoot blade on this 3-1/4" #4131 Frontier Stockman proved to be perfect for the job. OH

2012-09-28_18-33-51_406.jpg

I often think about trying carving with a knife, but, I have yet to really give it a good try. I loved each and every carving on this page - great work everyone!

DMA1965 - your Northfield picture with the pipe tampers is a fine picture!

:)

Here is a spoon I just finished. I reprofiled one of the small blades on the Winchester large congress knife so that it is wicked sharp.

2014-08-09%2022.44.02_zpsbmjbcnhg.jpg

I used a piece of oak from a piece of furniture that I ended up trashing.

What type of wood would you guys recommend using?

The easiest to carve wood I have found is basswood, which is the most common woodcarving wood. Any hardwood is good, but really hard woods like walnut require you to make sure your knives are sharp and you will need to strop a lot to keep them sharp while whittling.

I have lots of olive wood since I have olive trees, but it is very hard and requires lots of patience. It does make nice carvings, however.

Stay away from fir, or any wood where the summer and winter wood grows at different rates. The variance in hardness and grain makes whittling very frustrating.

My whittling is limited to removing bark from sticks and sharpening them to a point. That said, some of you guys are seriously talented. :thumbup:

Here's a picture of one of my favorite whittlers.

photo-13_zps7af9c2b4.jpg

This forum and some of theses whittling threads inspired me to try out a little project. I have never successfully whittled anything before but I had a go this afternnoon. Here is the first (and potentially only) link of my wooden chain.

a9evaqav.jpg

u5ysuhud.jpg

Last edited:
Love whittling/carving.
Here is some stuff from earlier this year. Got to get my "Santa" going and carve some Christmas ornaments and such.

RTsZOhh.jpg

UfDRuhg.jpg

Back