CAS Tactical Wakizashi...

This sword kind of randomly popped into my head tonight. I read a bunch of reviews about it when it came out. They seem fun and I always wanted to get my hands on one and never did before they got discontinued. So I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows about any other 5160 or comparable short swords/wakis that fit the bill as far as price/durability/quality. I have looked at the busse kin swords and they just don't really do it for me aesthetically. thanks.

I have a couple and like them pretty well. They don't really stay that sharp, which is my biggest beef, but are otherwise fun blades. Maybe the Condor Tactana would be fairly close, or could be modified?

Check out the Zakasushi, from Zombie Tools. Pricier, but a nicer sword, if you like the modern twist on the waki.

I love mine!

The Tactical waki handles fairly well, I cut my tsuka down to 5 1/4", that's too short by about 1/2" for most people, but it works fine for me.

Edge retention is indeed on the low side....but adequate(WAY better than the Cold Steel Imperial Katana I HAD), but it will take a fine and sharp edge.....and handles quite nicely once you sort out the best balance for your individual model.

The fiberglass scabbard functions quite nicely very well.

The Condor model requires MASSIVE rework to be in the same ballpark.
The tsuba design is way too big for that blade, the method of attaching everything involves welding and the nakago is way too long and bulky.

Am in the process of thinning it. Before I send it to Randy Black for a total overhaul, it's gonna get Rockwell tested to death...if it meets muster, it will get a proper fitting job with, at the very least, Terro Tuff core, silk cord overwrap and proper handle metal, as well as a NOT "looking like a machete" scabbard/ aka a proper saya.

The CAS I can live with, the Condor was departing too much from a usable piece for a JSA swordsman.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Back