Case Barlow question?

Hello I just recently purchased a Case Barlow as my first traditional style knife. Im really enjoying it so far. However the pivot seems a bit gritty when opening the knife. I'm just wondering if there is any type of oil or lube I can put on it to smooth it out? Also what style of sharpening would you recommend? I dont have much experience sharpening knives, but I also purchased a lansky professional sharpening system with the knife will this do the trick? I also heard that the Barlow might be going out of production at some point is this true?
Thanks!

Enjoy the case Barlow, they’re nice. I would flush the pivot with some mineral oil or other knife specific oil you may have on hand. Case can be a bit gunked up with debris and polishing compound. The lansky will be fine for sharpening. I just use a basic hand held worksharp. The case Barlow was a limited release from last year, so when they’re gone, they are gone. So if you see one you like buy it.

Enjoy the case Barlow, they’re nice. I would flush the pivot with some mineral oil or other knife specific oil you may have on hand. Case can be a bit gunked up with debris and polishing compound. The lansky will be fine for sharpening. I just use a basic hand held worksharp. The case Barlow was a limited release from last year, so when they’re gone, they are gone. So if you see one you like buy it.
Cool! Thank you! I will try the mineral oil! How much oil do I put on the pivot? I also thought about one of the worksharp sharpeners they look really nice! It's good to know that the Barlow will eventually be gone I might pick up another very soon!

I just use a few drops. Work the blade back and forth, wipe clean and repeat. Just watch the oil till it starts to clear up. Hopefully you’ll notice an improvement.

Cool! Thank you! I will try the mineral oil! How much oil do I put on the pivot? I also thought about one of the worksharp sharpeners they look really nice! It's good to know that the Barlow will eventually be gone I might pick up another very soon!
Typically they will stop making the Barlows for a few years and then make another run , but who knows . The time to buy what you like is when you see it . Now to the Gritty Joint issue . Oil it and work it like Matt_WY Matt_WY said and if you have an air compressor , blow it out too . Be sure to wear safety glasses if you do though . I also kind of cover up where the air will blow out with a rag . Good luck my friend and welcome to the world of Traditional Knives .

Harry

Hello I just recently purchased a Case Barlow as my first traditional style knife. Im really enjoying it so far. However the pivot seems a bit gritty when opening the knife. I'm just wondering if there is any type of oil or lube I can put on it to smooth it out? Also what style of sharpening would you recommend? I dont have much experience sharpening knives, but I also purchased a lansky professional sharpening system with the knife will this do the trick? I also heard that the Barlow might be going out of production at some point is this true?
Thanks!
Yes welcome to the Forum! I hope you have a good time! I picked up two Case Barlows so far.

,,,Mike in Canada

Back