Case Ebony Humpback Stockman

I asked my girlfriend for one of these this Christmas and she obliged. She did, however, take it upon herself to have a blade engraved. No problem except that Knifeworks selected an example with big fat back gaps on both liners and engraved that one. Way to get junk off the shelf. Now that it is personalized, and can't simply be switched out, they say that Case must repair it. Case is on vacation until the 2nd.

Disappointment.

Last edited:
I looked at one of these in the black g10 in a knife store the other day. Nice knife and the price wasn't bad either. I liked the blades as well. Its more of a brushed metal vice the ebony one's blade. Almost reminds me of a custom knife the way the blades look.

Sorry to hear that it had problems, jazub. Until Case returns back from holiday, I'd tote it around. I hope that Case takes care of it to your satisfaction and that you enjoy it.

Thanks a lot, Jake. You're probably right; I should just toss it in the pocket and make some memories with it. I love the pattern very much; the Rough Black example I have has easily been my favorite in pocket for 2011.

jazub,

The gaps on yours sound like they are wider than mine but if it's any consolation, my Rough Black version has a gap between the liner and backspring that runs from bolster to bolster. Mine is only on the pile side. I use a .004" feeler gage to keep the gap clean but the gap is .005" at its widest point. Doesn't sound too bad in writing but visually, it's a pretty good size gap.

Mine was also a gift from my wife. Christmas 2010. I was pretty disappionted at first but I decided not to send it to Case since it is a user and there are a lot of things that I like about the knife. I bit the bullet and stuck it in my pocket. It's been there everyday since then. In all honesty, I don't think even a week went by before I forgot all about the gap.

I'm actually glad that I didn't send it to Case. They probably could have fixed the gap but I like knowing that the knife is just as it was when my wife gave it to me.

I asked my girlfriend for one of these this Christmas and she obliged. She did, however, take it upon herself to have a blade engraved. No problem except that Knifeworks selected an example with big fat back gaps on both liners and engraved that one. Way to get junk off the shelf. Now that it is personalized, and can't simply be switched out, they say that Case must repair it. Case is on vacation until the 2nd.

Disappointment.

It is a shame to have something rather special turn out like that. Sorry you didn't get the one KW grabbed off the shelf and sent me. I didn't ask for any inspection and it turned out about perfect.

Its surprising and a bit disturbing that would happen. Roger's ladies usually do a great job. You would think they would have noticed when they were handling it for engraving.

Bringing this back up because I received my replacement ebony Humpback Stockman from Case this past week. It went out some time in the second week of January and I received it again on Feb 2nd or 3rd. Great surprise on the turnaround :thumbup: They opted to swap out the knife instead of fix the one with engraving.

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I went on a 4 mile coastal hike and I took it along with us to make its first memory. Beautiful day with lots of fresh air and no city noise. Not a lot of cutting to be done but we paused on the cliff over the ocean for some fresh air and rest (and a little photo shoot with my sweet new Case knife):

6824539361_7a58f50c40_z.jpg

The Case Humpback Stockman remains my favorite traditional pattern and the ebony only kicks it up a notch. Great size, great blade selection, very comfortable in hand. This buddy will be riding shotgun for a while :D

Back