Case HOBO

Hello! Just wondering if anyone had any comments on the Case HOBO. Seems like a neat thing to have on camping trips/vacations. Actually, I've already ordeed one. Guess I'm a little too late to seek opinions. Now to see if I can get my smilies right this time.
wink.gif

If it's what you want, you're in good shape. Case is a great knife, after all. There's really not a lot to comment on the Hobo, you open it, you eat with it. "It is what it is" Use mineral oil to clean it. This is not harmful to the human body.(and is in fact often sold as a laxative) and too keep it from rusting. You would probably be wise to carry a small bottle with an eye dropper of mineral oil when you go camping. If you really are going to eat with it, I'm sure you'll have to rinse it and oil it quite often.

------------------
EdRozen-On the cutting edge of finding out what the cutting edge is....

Dear edrozen,
Thanks for the tip on the Mineral oil. Never thought about what I needed to use to oil the knife. Where can I go to get this stuff? Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by edrozen:
"It is what it is" Use mineral oil to clean it. This is not harmful to the human body.(and is in fact often sold as a laxative)

Dear edrozen,
Thanks for the tip on the Mineral oil. Never thought about what I needed to use to oil the knife. Where can I go to get this stuff? Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by edrozen:
"It is what it is" Use mineral oil to clean it. This is not harmful to the human body.(and is in fact often sold as a laxative)

Any pharmacy will carry mineral oil in the laxative section. If you can't find it, ask your pharmacist.

------------------
Harry

Toujours l'audacite!

I do a lot of hiking and camping, and for camping, the Hobo is great. For hiking, it's WAY too heavy for a situation where minimizing weight is crucial to long-term comfort. When hiking, I use plastic utensils. Otherwise, I really like the Hobo!

Professor.

Handy little sucker! I like mine a lot and have use it many, many times. You get a lot for your money with one of these and I agree with Kevin on the bottle opener. About the only use I can see for it may be as an emergency campfire pot lifter.

I have a Case Hobo in Vintage Stag.

I haven't had the oppurtunity, as of yet, to use this knife.

I think that the construction, fit, finish, and edge sharpness is up to Case's usually high standards. I just love the feel of their stag handles. It's a shame that stag is in such short supply now.
frown.gif

As for the bottle cap opener, I too have no use for this item, however it is my understanding that it was added not just as a purely functional role. Case was reintroducing a old version of a Hobo that they made back earlier in the century and this is more likely the reason that they included a bottle opener.

If I had only one complaint it would be that a spoon would also have been a nice addition. I mean, didn't people back in the 1920's use spoons too?
wink.gif

Overall.....It's a very nice and useful tool.

--The Raptor--

Back