Case Humpback Stockman Goes to the Spa

AFAustin

Gold Member
One thing I enjoy is to take in a knife which has been a user, and may'’ve suffered a bit in the course of its labors, and spiff it up a little. I have neither the talent nor the tools to turn such a knife into a museum piece, but it is surprising and gratifying what a few relatively simple procedures and tweaks can do.

I recently took in a Case Humpback Stockman in ebony from a fellow forum member, who had used and enjoyed the knife, and it had the battle scars to prove it—---nothing bad but plenty of sharpening and other scratches, a little blade rub, in need of a good sharpening, etc. But it was a fundamentally sound and attractive knife, and I was particularly happy to get one with ebony scales, which seem to be a little scarce (I’ve seen Frank post pics of his nice one in ebony, though).

So, I got to work. First off was to address all the blade scratching. I know there are gents with the skill and patience to restore a mirror polish, but I’m not one of them. An easy alternative is simply to do a horizontal (length of the blade) satinizing, which I did here with a couple of grits of Scotch Brite pads (#7447 maroon "Very Fine", followed by a #7448 gray "Ultra Fine).

Next was a good overall polishing to bring some lustre back—either Flitz or Mother’s Mag will do the trick here. This was followed by a thorough wash and dry, with special attention to getting any gunk out of the joints. And finally, the nice ebony scales got an application of lemon oil and a good rubdown.

There’s not much blade rub with this knife because the blades are offset (not crinked), but the small spey did have some towards the tip where it was hitting the sheepfoot’s nail nick when opening/closing. A little sanding down of the edge of the sheepie’s nail nick helped with that.

Next, there were two small mods to do. I had a Humpack Stockman once before, and then as now, there are a couple of aspects I don’t like: the high riding sheepsfoot and the lack of utility (for me) of the small spey. Starting with the latter, I'll say that for my purposes, the small spey isn’t very useful and I much prefer a pointy pen blade. Converting this one from spey to pen is a pretty easy task and I’m likewise pleased with the result. One thing I’ll say about both the secondary blades on the Humpback—they are extremely thin and so, when sharpened up, become little razors.

Now on to the high riding sheepsfoot. I know many don’'t mind this with a stockman, but the sheepie is uncomfortable to me when using the other blades, and the Humpback’s sheepie protrudes quite a bit. So, a two-step process was called for: round down the spine and lower the kick. As to the former, I learned a lesson with my earlier Humpback: I overdid it and intruded a bit into the nail nick, and I was determined to not make the same mistake twice. So I took a more conservative approach with my Work Sharp KO and I’m happy with the result—---the shape is fine (to my eyes anyway) and the sharp hump in the spine is smoothed out. The Work Sharp makes the metal removal easy, and the finer grit belts are great for rounding and re-polishing the portion of the spine which was worked on. There is also, happily, plenty of extra kick on the sheepie and I was able to also take off a good bit from there. In fact, I kept going, very very gradually, till I got just the slightest flat spot at the base of the blade when closing, and then I stopped (and later sharpened that out). The knife is now more streamlined, much more comfortable in hand, and I barely feel the sheepie when I’m using the other blades.

I should also mention here that the lowering of the kick on the sheepie has to be done in conjunction with the modding of the spey into a pen. As the sheepie kick is lowered, the sheepie nail nick would normally sink down below the top hump of the spey and become inaccessible. But once you have ground off that little hump in making your pen blade, the lowered sheepie nail nick should remain exposed, so problem solved. As with the blade rap issue, this is another reason why lowering the sheepie kick needs to be done very gradually---so as to frequently check that the nail nick is still accessible.

The final step was a good sharpening of all 3 blades, courtesy of the Worksharp KO with an assist from my Sharpmaker, and finished with denim + compound on wood strops. All 3 blades will now pop hairs with the best of them, but as I mentioned, the thin blade stock of the sheepie and pen make them something special in the cutting department.

I know I should’'ve taken "Before" pics, but I didn’'t. However, I have a NIB unmodded Humpback in harvest orange pocket worn bone which shows how these look when stock. There are a couple of small differences, though: the ebony scales are thinner than the bone, and the sheepie on the ebony has a deeper nail nick (which is helpful to my clumsy old fingers).

I really like this pattern and, with the spa treatment and small mods that this one received, I am truly enjoying it. It’s a great size at 3 5/8" closed and 2.3 oz. (vs. 2.5 oz. for the stock bone model), and it feels smooth and comfortable in the hand and in the pocket. The pulls on all 3 blades are "Goldilocks right" for me—not too stiff, not too soft— with no half stops. The blade combination (post mod) is varied and useful for a wide variety of tasks. This is just a great companion knife and if you get a chance to snag one, I’'d recommend giving it a try.

Thanks, guys, for reading and looking.

Andrew

cmkGyt0l.jpg

MG9AiW2l.jpg

hLMlJd8l.jpg

9SRQC39l.jpg

hvO6pD7l.jpg

pthNdqll.jpg

bf4dL0Nl.jpg

lYFp4WQl.jpg

aWoiT6ml.jpg

ZznyyYGl.jpg

jFV6SEXl.jpg

9rfZwScl.jpg

CLaaC8Il.jpg

HL0nUUll.jpg

5oqn1zSl.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job.

You are right about the ebony being few and far between. I lucked out in finding mine on a dealer's back web page.

You are also right about the pattern in general being a joy to carry and use. The Bose is strong in this one.

Great work, Andrew! Those modified blades look like they came that way from the factory. Particularly the Pen blade. I'm a fan of the Humpback Stockman too and I really like what you've done here. The closed knife now has a nice low profile and you brought that Sheepsfoot blade down to a nice level. Combine that with the already sunken joints and you've got yourself a very attractive knife. Nice to see this.

Its great to see what small modifications can do to then usefulness of a blade.

Really nice work!

Nice job.

You are right about the ebony being few and far between. I lucked out in finding mine on a dealer's back web page.

You are also right about the pattern in general being a joy to carry and use. The Bose is strong in this one.

Frank,

I think the pics of your ebony Humpback, posted some time ago, stuck in my mind and motivated me to jump on this one.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Andrew

Great work, Andrew! Those modified blades look like they came that way from the factory. Particularly the Pen blade. I'm a fan of the Humpback Stockman too and I really like what you've done here. The closed knife now has a nice low profile and you brought that Sheepsfoot blade down to a nice level. Combine that with the already sunken joints and you've got yourself a very attractive knife. Nice to see this.

Rick,

I well remember you have been a longtime fan of this pattern. In fact, as I recall, you educated me as to the phosphor bronze bushing---another secret joy of this knife.

All I can say is you have excellent taste in knives, my friend.

Andrew

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up and pictures. I've always found this pattern interesting and would welcome another issue of them.

The sunk-joints aspect is a sign of real quality, something yet to be done by GEC (as is a moderate weight Stockman...) and I like the cut-out on the pile side to access the Spey. I have the Harvest Orange PW version and I've been contemplating lowering the Sheep too as it is rather a high rider, it does make it a bit uncomfortable in the hand. Queen's No.26 and Buck's 303 offer really nice flat Sheep. However, there must be some variance in the CASE models, mine has a nail-nick already very close to the Spey's tip that I fear if I were to lower the Sheep's kick then it could put the nick out of reach. The knife being rendered un openable:eek:
Maybe your Ebony one has the nick far enough away from the Spey? I'd like to change the Spey to Pen like yours, much more in my line of needs.

Thanks, Will

Hi, Will. As I mentioned in my rather long winded post, if you round off the top corner hump on the spey and turn it into a pen, it opens up enough additional space to reach the sheepie's nail nick once you have lowered the sheepie. This should be true on your harvest orange bone model as well.

But lowering the kick on the sheepie really needs to be done very gradually so you can constantly check both that you can still access the sheepie nail nick and to avoid blade rap of the sheepie edge against the spring.

Your post made me realize that I should have written my procedure with the spey-to-pen mod described first, so that the extra nail nick space will already be available when you begin lowering the sheepie. I'll go back and amend my post to reflect that.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:
A job well done Andrew. You've now got me wanting one of these with the same mods. :cool:;) Time to save up and hunt one down. :D

A job well done Andrew. You've now got me wanting one of these with the same mods. :cool:;) Time to save up and hunt one down. :D

Bob, thanks. I have admired your fine mods many times on this forum, so I appreciate your post.

If you do end up modding a Humpback, please post pics and technique as it would be a learning experience for me.

Andrew

Back