Case Long Tail C Trapper in Antique Dark Bone

A Review of the Case 'Long Tail C' Trapper in Antique Dark Bone

case4.jpg

I picked this guy up at my local B&M for $77.00 but it can be found online for around $50 if you're so inclined.

case2.jpg

What an awesome knife! This guy came hair scraping sharp right out of the box....not just shaving sharp, but you can just rake it over the skin and remove ample amounts of hair with it. My father-in-law was so impressed with it's performance that he inadvertantly took nearly all the hair off one arm. Don't know how he's going to explain this one at work...maybe he'll just say that he's a swimmer and his bare arm is his 'power arm'. dunno.

case3.jpg

The thing that impressed me the most about this Case Trapper was the antiqued dark bone scales. It has a translucence about it that kinda draws you into it. The bone has a wonderful feel about it not unlike comparing cheap plastic to the warmer feel of a quality celluloid. The contrast between the bone and the super-high polish of the rest of the knife really work together to present an upscale knife experience. Unlike my Benchmade Stryker which is a fine knife, but kinda plain and not-so-fancy, the Trapper screams white collar southern gentleman.

case5.jpg

The color-play between the bone, brass, nickel, etc. are in complete harmony and it gives the Trapper a very classy look that's hard to avoid. The Long Tail versions of Case's knives are all made of their 'Tru Sharp' steel and was initially a concern until I slid it over my fine benchstone a couple times and it came out sharper than it did in the box....and did I mention how sharp it was out of the box! :eek:

Vital Statistics
LONG TAIL "C" DARK ANTIQUE TRAPPER
Pattern Number: 6254 SS
Blades:CLIP AND SPEY
Length Closed: 4 1/8"

case6.jpg

The pen featured here is a mid 1930's Sheaffer Flat-Top fountain pen that I restored and use on occasion. The Sheaffer and the Case sitting together look like they were made as a set and sold together...I'm going to have to start carrying them together to get more smiles and questions about both. BTW, my EDC fountain pen is a fully restored 1948 Parker 51...but I digress.

case1.jpg

You know, it feels really good to buy an American product that has the fit and finish you would expect. I think that regardless of what you primarily collect, having a Case in your collection is pretty much a MUST considering the quality that they offer. Does it sound like I'm gushing? Well, yeah, I'm gushing...I love this knife and it'll serve me for years to come and it's built strong enough to pass on to my son when he comes of age and needs to start carrying a good knife in HIS pocket.

Will Power

Gold Member
The bone colour on the scales looks really attractive.Did not know CASE had this type of bone on offer.

As for the stainless blades,I've always found CASE SS to be excellent stuff,sharp from the start and easy to keep that way:thumbup:

Some die-hard traditionalists might prefer CV though:D

Good review with some exceptional shots, that fountain-pen is magnificent:thumbup:

A great review! I really lile the looks of the "long c" and that bone is great. Fit and finish on the latest case knives (at least on the several I have bought in the last couple months) has been really good.

Although the concept of stainless slipjoints was kind "yech" to me at first, I have come to appreciate the keen edge the stainless so easily takes, the lack of apple "tang" and ease of maintinence.

That is a big knife, does Case make a mini-trapper or other smaller models in the long c series?

Looks great! I like it a lot.

I've got a couple Long C knives but do not konw the significance of the Long C. Can anyone explain?

The significance of the long C is that it goes back to the early days of Case,it was the mark Case used in the 1920s and 30s before the XX knives.

2497878190_df355daa82_b.jpg

Looks like you can preorder that whittler for $125 and get it in october. There's also a large stockman available in the same series for $50....either way, awesome series.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice pics and a nice review. Thanks!

I hope you're showing off this beauty at the traditional forum. Nice pics BTW.