1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Case mini copperhead wharncliffe or Queen #46?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by stevomiller, May 9, 2012.

1. stevomiller

stevomiller

May 4, 2001
    Do any of you kind gentlemen own both, or have handled both? I am interested in this pattern and am curious if one has better fit/finish, etc? On the Queen I don't care if it is the 420 or D2 version. I would have to order them as no brick/mortar store stocks them near me. On the Queen, are the blades ground thin behind the edge (not worried about edge angle, which can be addressed)? I've had a few of their folders who's blades were entirely too thick.
    Thank you,
    Steve

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. protourist

protourist Have you ever caught me lying to you before? Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I don't have the Queen but I can say that my Case is very close to perfect.

3. stevomiller

stevomiller

May 4, 2001
    Thx protourist! The Case is the lesser priced, nice to know the quality is high.

4. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I don't have any experience with the Case, but I do have a Queen #46. It's a gem of a knife. Queen has this pattern down pat. The walk and talk on mine is superb, a challenging task when two blades of dissimilar sizes share a single backspring.

[​IMG]

- Christian

5. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Would that be these two?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fit and finish are better on the Queen, and unusually, the blades are ground thinner than the Case. Mine is the Dan Burke collaboration, which may make a difference.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. TLARbb

TLARbb

Jan 24, 2010
    Beautiful knives, both of them. I would like to get my hands on a Queen. They are very nearly the same size, so I'm sure I would like it. Thanks for sharing the comparison foto. I like the bone on the Case.

Ed J

7. Planterz

Planterz Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Is the winerbottom bone on the Dan Burke Queens actual bone? I've seen a lot of Queens with fake (delrin) winterbottom. If it's real bone, I might just have to get one of these.

8. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Yep, the DB Queen is real bone. It's one of the few pieces in my Winterbottom collection that is actual bone.

9. Planterz

Planterz Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  10. zippofan

zippofan

Nov 12, 2011
    I have the mini-Copperhead and EDC it quite a bit as it is work-friendly. I'd sure like one of those Queen half-whittler's too.

11. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
  12. protourist

protourist Have you ever caught me lying to you before? Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I thought that I liked the bone on my Case until I saw yours. That little Case of yours is a beauty.

13. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I don't think that's it. Buzzbait loves his Robeson. I have a theory that knife companies make some patterns better than others. Like Case with the swayback jack , Queen does a bang-up job with the half-whittler.

- Christian

14. stevomiller

stevomiller

May 4, 2001
    Thanks for all the input and pictures, I appreciate it. Kamagaong, it's encouraging to hear the #46 is a pattern Queen does especially well.
    I will post a review after I get my new baby.
    Best,
    Steve