Case Mini Trapper Wharncliffe mod ...

I was futzing around tonight with my knives and got to looking at the clip blade on a Case mini-trapper. Noticed the nail nick is positioned actually quite oddly rearward almost to the tang on this pattern. Wheels start turning ... if I was to build a wharncliffe blade, that's exactly where I would put the nail nick. Then I thought of one of those sweet AG Russell peanuts with the wharncliffe secondary that I always liked the looks of, so I thought it might be worth a shot to try it on a Case. Only difference is the primary blade would be the spey ... I had to wrestle with that, but in the end I gave it a shot --->

4K4qXA9.jpg

JHZSO3r.jpg

LgDIYmY.jpg

OXbvgvE.jpg

Didn't know how it was going to play out, but I think it's going to be handy ...

Nice work. That looks like it turned out good.

My particular model mini-trapper came with a wharncliff blade & it proved it's usefulness just yesterday. My wife was using a water glass & pencil to draw circles on Christmas wrapping paper, then cutting them out with scissors, for some kind of artsy craftsy thing for decorations. She had a bunch of them to do & it looked very time consuming. I picked up the glass, placed it on the paper & using the Wharncliff blade, I cut around the edge of the glass in less time than it took her to trace around it with a pencil. That was a mistake, because then I had to continue helping to make artsy-fartsy stuff for about another half hour, when I had more important stuff to do, like.............Well, I coulda found something else to do if I really tried.

And since you had to sit through that rant, here's a pic of the mini-trapper:
DSC00270-X2.jpg

Good job on that. I did the same thing to a rough rider locking trapper once, but I'm not sure I would have the gumption to do it on a nice Case.

Looks good. I found a small, vintage, single blade Old Timer with the tip broke off a few years ago and it made a great wharny. It fits well in my watch pocket too. I'll try to get a pic when I get home.

Nice work! Now, if I did that to my Wharncliffe mini trapper, I guess I'd have a Wharncliffe-Wharncliffe mini trapper. :p

Back