Case Sod-Buster JR. Add your experience!

I know there is a review section, but I put this here for a reason.
I know that alot of traditional-knife knuts have them, so I would like the experiences/pictures of you owners out there added to my review!

The Case Sod-Buster JR. is an excellent knife that I think everyone should own. The price is low, and the knife is strong.
Buy 3 or 4! Put one in your tacklebox, car, nightstand, etc.

First Impressions:
My first impressions were 50/50. The fit and finish is "eh" and the knife opened very hard and gritty when I first got it.
It felt very solid, though, and came EXTREMELY sharp. Probably the sharpest knife I have ever recieved OOB.

Thoughts after owning it for a while:
The knife began to clear up and open better. The grittiness went away, but it still opens hard. (not really a bad thing)
I don't mind having it open hard, because it also snaps open excellently. I let my cousin, a fellow knife-lover, check it out. He doesnt really like slip-joints, but when he went to close it, he stopped and checked for a lock becuase it was so tight.

Basic Info:
Weight-2.1 ounces
Length closed-3.6 inches
Skinner blade shape
Tru-Sharp stainless (lightly hardened 420 series)
Black Synthetic handles
Brass pins and liners

Pros
I'd put the Tru-Sharp stainless in the "pro" section because of how easily it can be re-sharpened. It also gets very sharp.
Curved, smoothened handle is very comfortable. No hot-spots
Very tight snap
Size is great for pocket
Not scary at all. Used in any public situation confidently
Strength. I could bring this knife into the woods and I think I'd be ok. (you shouldn't be batoning or stabbing anyways;))

Cons:
Minor Fit and Finish issues.
Spine edges are pretty sharply cut creating an edge of their own
1 gap
Not centered perfectly, but also not rubbing handle

I cant say too much about fit and finish. Case does most of the work by hand. I think I would rather have hand-done work and some minor issues than a machine doing it all.

Overall:
This knife isnt for putting in your cabinet and treating it like a sports car. This knife is meant to be used. Case did a great job at creating a knife that is in the middle of the "classes". It looks great, and functions even better. When you first get this knife, You probably won't be blown away. Dont let that sway your opinions. You need to use this knife before you truly understand why everybody likes them so much. It is solid, and made for hard work. It truly does have a charm of its own. :cool:
8.5/10
What can you add?
Pictures:
sodbusterreview012.jpg

sodbusterreview011.jpg

sodbusterreview010.jpg

sodbusterreview009.jpg

sodbusterreview008.jpg

sodbusterreview006.jpg

sodbusterreview005.jpg

sodbusterreview004.jpg

sodbusterreview003.jpg

sodbusterreview002.jpg

sodbusterreview001.jpg

Hi bladeboss!

Just a question; is it also possible to post about the Yellow Soddie CV? You showed off here the black Soddie SS. (Just for knowing it - and getting actual pics of that knife)

Kind regards
Andi

Hi bladeboss!

Just a question; is it also possible to post about the Yellow Soddie CV? You showed off here the black Soddie SS. (Just for knowing it - and getting actual pics of that knife)

Kind regards
Andi
YOU can If you'd like. I would have added it to my review, but this is the only soddie that I have.

Nice review. :thumbup:

Based on what you've seen in yours and reported here, sounds pretty much like you got a carbon-copy of mine (2008 vintage). It's especially interesting to hear how sharp yours was, out-of-box. I had exactly the same impression when I bought mine (albeit with a few burrs to clean up). Edge bevel was beautifully done, right out to the very tip, which is pretty rare. I also have a large version of the same knife (2138 SS; 2009 vintage), with the same positive impression of the edge and tip. Some say the 'rounded' or 'blunt' profile on the tip of these blades will prevent them from being good penetrating cutters, but this one's a sneaky sleeper, in that regard. ;)

These make great tomato and pickle slicers, too (I've been on a tomato kick lately, for my sandwiches, with a pickle on the side). :D

Last edited:
Have you put alot of pressure cutting? Thats one thing Im still a bit weary to do.
I have before, but I try not to alot.

I generally don't. The edge on this hollow-ground blade is pretty thin, so I use it accordingly. Fantastic slicer, and the sharper the edge is maintained, the less force is needed to make the cut. Coincidentally, when using them this way (maintained very sharp, used with minimal cutting pressure), the fine-slicing edges will last longer. I tend to thin the edges on most/all of my knives, for this very reason. If I've used the knife at all, I strop it lightly before putting it away at the end of the day, just to keep it in top shape.

I've been very happy with my yellow CV Sodbuster Jr., sharp out of the box, fit n finish good with a centered blade. Of all things, that's one that drives me the most crazy is a non-centered blade.

I need to carry it more often, honestly when I do carry a sodbuster I've been reaching for my GEC Bullnose.

I rotate a yellow CV Jr along with an Opinel no. 8 Carbone as my daily lunch knives at work. It makes an excellent food-prep knife and is getting a great patina.

I have a rather large collection of them(to me anyways, 50+ nowadays) and out of all the companies and all the fit and finish levels I like the Case CV Soddie the best. The CV's handle is a little bigger and feels great! I can't say I use them all the time but it is one of the most used I have. I love the sodbuster pattern and highly recommend it. If you search Sodbuster and mrrampro on the tube you will see some of the knives.

I, too, have a rather large sodbuster collection(40+) from various companies and made in various countries such as the US, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and even a couple from China. I will agree that the Case sodbusters have some of the better fit and finishes of all the sodbusters. I plan to do a write up on all my soddies as soon as they all land(I have a few from Germany on the way) and the Case Sodbuster Jr will be a refrence point to all the other soddies in size, shape and finish. You can't beat what you get from Case for the price. I will say though that the biggest surprise to me in my collection of sodbusters is that the finest fit and finish of all the sodbusters I own are Chinese made ones, the AG Russell ranchers, just outstanding really. They are the only Chinese made sodbusters I own but they are impressive. Enjoy your Soddie and pick up a yellow CV one as well, you wont be disappointed. Trevor~

Nice review I realy enjoyed it. I've come to not judge the Sodbusters and their kin very harshly when it comes to fit and finish. I've owned several including Case and all were a bit on the rough side, but then again IMO anyways the sodbuster is a rough use knife.

Might as well add the latest made by GEC: 01 Tool Steel blade. Case's Sod Buster Jr. isn't the only game in town.
gecbullnoseworkknife1.jpg

gecbullnoseworkknife2.jpg

And a comparison of the GEC to the Case Sod Buster Jr..
casesodbustergecbullnos.jpg

Last edited:
They are no longer available. I got mine from collectorknives - a paying sponsorship dealer here at Blade Forum. They were a SFO by that dealer as a test run. I think there were only 28 made.

Cons:
Minor Fit and Finish issues.
Spine edges are pretty sharply cut creating an edge of their own
1 gap
Not centered perfectly, but also not rubbing handle

Personally, I just don't see any cons to the Sod Buster Jr. - a knife you can pick up as cheap as $9.95 on sale at times or as a free promotional item for another product like Bailing Twine at the "Range" or other grain and feed stores.

They're great knives. I have both Case's TruSharp and CV but prefer CV. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Thanks Ed, I actually have one but I am seeking to add another. I've heard 50 made but either way they are hard to come by.

This from GEC's 2011 Production Totals release.

Collector Knives
#331211 Northfield – Ebony Wood 23 pcs. serialized
#331211 Northfield – Stag 24 pcs. serialized
#331211BAL Northfield – Ebony Wood 24 pcs. serialized
#331211BAL Northfield – Stag 22 pcs. serialized
Bullnose – Smooth Orange 28 pcs. no serial number

Back