case sodbuster

recently i picked up a case sod buster with the synthetic blue handles and i noticed some very slight bladeplay. there was also some crazy grease build-up. is this normal?

Can't speak to the grease but a small bit of play is not very unusual at all.

I'd try to wipe and flush out as much of the grease as possible and then lube the knife (pivot/joint) well afterward. That is unless you were going to return the knife for some reason.

With a bolsterless handle like the sodbuster, a little bit of sideways play is to be expected sooner or later. There's not a lot of lateral support for the blade or pivot pin. Just two thin, brass liners and the relatively slippery delrin scales, which allow the pivot pin to move a bit, side-to-side. Even if there's no play when it's new, eventually some will develop. I've noticed some movement in mine, even when exerting relatively light pressure in stropping the blade. I wouldn't fret too much over a little bit of play in this knife.

As for the grease, just either wipe away the excess, or you could flush it out with WD-40. I often do this with newly-acquired knives. Flush 'em out with WD-40. Then wash in hot, soapy water (use dish soap), dry thoroughly, then re-lube the joints.

Dave

Last edited:
I bought one of the blue "American Worker" ones after owning the standard black model and I noticed there is more blade play on the blue one. It was a little disappointing but nothing major. I didn't see a build up of grease like you described.

On a side note...I find the full sized Sodbuster excellent to use in the kitchen...cutting onions, potatoes, slicing steaks..it's a very useful knife. The modest price makes it a great bargain.

I fixed my stainless Case Soddie Jr's bladeplay with small amount of grazy glue spread thiny on brass liners near the spring. After 6 months, still no blade play.

On a side note...I find the full sized Sodbuster excellent to use in the kitchen...cutting onions, potatoes, slicing steaks..it's a very useful knife. The modest price makes it a great bargain.

+1 :thumbup:

Ditto. I haven't actually used mine that way (yet), but every time I pick it up, I can't help but think how versatile it'd be as a kitchen utility slicer. Perfect blade profile, wicked sharp, ideal size, easy to clean & maintain.

Dave

bad things about the soddie:(
Maybe a case of a bad one getting through, lord knows my yeller cv is my workhorse, used it from scraping yard lipping from the bottom of the mower deck to cutting up boxes and slicing apples (and everything in between!)
gene

Back