Case teardrop

I am looking at getting a Case teardrop. Who has them? And single blade or double?

I bought one of the single blade amber bone models as soon as they came out. A very sleek, pocketable knife, small enough that I didn't see any value in the even smaller secondary.

TBteardropopen_zps0daddaca.jpg~original

Wharncliffe w/ pen, cv steel, bone-stag covers:

I like having a secondary blade, especially if it's a different shape than the main (wharncliffe / pen, or spear / coping) It also makes the handle wider, which can be more comfortable to hold (but thicker in the pocket)

i have had a few,seems the first few had weak springs,just make sure you can check it out before buying,i like the swaybacks. the blades seem stronger,or may just be me..good luck. steve

I have a single blade version in 6.5 bonestag.
The fit and finish is superlative. The spring is flush open, closed, and even at the half-stop. Love the blade shape. Half way between a Wharncliffe and a spear. And can be used as either.

This one is a single blade. A two-blade is on the want list, but hasn't made it to the top yet.

Recommended.

2015-05-09%2011.42.34_zpsrmvmxiaa.jpg

I had the Jack (double blade) but gave it away, I really liked the wraparound spring on the secondary-touch of class.

However, I prefer the knife as a single. The blade is a kind of 'reduced' Spear which coupled with the Teardrop pointed frame reminds me of Quill Knives from the c19th, very distinctive CASE I'd say. It is available with Wharncliffe as Rachel showed us (that Bonestag and shield are a very good combo) and I think you can now get a cv Wharncliffe Chestnut Bone single?

Here's my Amber Bone stainless. I concur with Frank, superb build on my example, flush in three, no gaps at all, no play and decent snap, great pin-work too-2 domed pins and two smaller flush ones. No horrid sink-holes here like you may encounter on some GEC knives....(my pet hate in a knife, bad pins)

Another kool factor is that it looks like a fish when closed:D:thumbup:

IMG_3215.jpg

I have the two-blade version in red pocket worn bone. It doesn't do anything for me. The main blade is like a large pen blade, and is too short for the handle length for my tastes. Tony himself responded to my posting that comment in a previous thread that it was intentionally designed that way. So that's cool, I just don't like that design element.

I can't think of a situation where I would choose to carry it over any of the other choices in that size range that I have.

If you like the looks, size, and styling, then I'm sure it would make a good choice of pocket knife. Tastes vary. This one was a "miss" for me.

They all look great! Thanks for the input. I'm used to carrying a Case trapper so I'm leaning toward the double blade.

It's based on a quill knife and the blade is larger than typical to better suit modern uses. On the old knives, the blade is actually much shorter. Below is a beautiful collection of old English quill knives photographed by Coop.

I don't have an old quill knife or the Case/Bose tear drop (can't have everything) but I think it's neat. It may be the only modern example of quill knives... at least, I haven't seen any others.

Simon Litton collection of English quill knives
orig.jpg
\

Actually, I did think of one other example. Camillus (now closed) made a reproduction of George Washington's quill knife. The images below were pulled from the web.

GeorgeWashingtonPenKnife.jpg

GeorgeWashingtonPenKnifeBOX.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2, both having 2 blades (one is stainless, the other CV with Wharncliffe blade). They are both extremely well made. I was wondering if having Tony Bose associated with the design influenced the superb fit and finish. The nail marks are easy to access given the brass divider, so you don't tear off your fingernails trying to open the blades! I also like the half-stops on the blades. All in all, a home run for me!

--Larry

Back