1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Case vs GEC

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by FarmKid, Jul 30, 2012.

1. FarmKid

FarmKid

Jun 7, 2012
    Ok guys let's Hear it. If case went up against GEC in a grudge match which would come out victorious? I mean puttin two knives through the toughest nastiest tests imaginable. I'd like to hear which case and which GEC you'd put against one another and which u would choose the victor. Use your imagination and anything goes!

2. johnny twoshoes

johnny twoshoes Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I'm as biased as it gets when it comes to my PA cutlery, we have the best of the best in my opinion, but the real #1 is tough to choose.

First consider this:

Case has some of the newest technology around.
    Great Eastern is using machines that Buck didn't need and more than a few from Schrade after they went under.

Case has a couple hundred employees.
    GEC employs 21 including Mr. Howard the owner.

Case has survived every major financial crisis since they started making knives in 1889.
    GEC has been in business since 2006 and has take the knife world my storm in a very short time.

Case uses their traditional CV and their secret Stainless steel.
    GEC uses basic 1095 and 440c blades.

Case has gone from pinning, to gluing shields.
    GEC pins every shield.

Case did it the old way and has changed for the times and popularity.
    GEC does it the old way and is devoted to that ideology.

After my uses and experience with both companies, GEC hands down.

All just my opinion.

3. 555

555 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2007
    I think I'll have to buy more of each to make a Fair comparison with some from Queen for good measure. :D

4. Gec fan

Gec fan

Apr 21, 2012
    I think johnny has summed it up,GEC hands down they put nice stag on there knives pin every sheild and every gec knife i own snaps like a gator

5. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    If the comparison was between GEC and pre-1970 Case, it would be a tough choice, but for my tastes, GEC has rendered current (standard) Case offerings irrelevant. Case is still surprisingly competitive in terms of value, but IMO, their knives look and feel like toys compared to their equivalent GEC patterns.

6. FarmKid

FarmKid

Jun 7, 2012
    I'd like to put a case yellow trapper in cv against a GEC 73. I've used a case trapper to cut and pry everything. One time I cut barbed wire by hitting the back of the blade with a hammer, scraped battery posts, stripped wire, cut small trees out of fence rows, dug with it, bout anything and the knife is still going.

7. SubSpace

SubSpace

May 26, 2011
    I may be the minority on this forum, but I prefer Case. Yes, the glued on shields bother me and yes, they make some gaudy knives in odd colors for collectors. I do not collect knives. I buy them with the intent (at the time) to use them, and for my particular pockets, most GECs are overbuilt. I love the conductor and white owl, and there is no doubt GEC makes a good product. But there is an emotional component to Case that, for me, GEC does not have. Maybe it's because my Grandpa carried one. I prefer CV to GEC's 1095. It is easier to sharpen for me and I love Case's grinds. My swayback jack is the most impressive pocket knife in terms of fit and finish I have ever purchased. My CV peanut is flawless as well. I love Case Damascus. My stag damascus peanut is the jewel of my little fleet.
    If someone offered me my choice of any Case knife I wanted or any GEC, I would go with a Case.
    My two cents only.

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Hard to say, not similar to each other, they are so radically different in-the-hand. GEC generally robust, high quality scale options, authentic. CASE has such an impressive lineage ( rather dubious at times...) many very pleasant easy to use knives, some others of questionable taste&quality/finish. I have 3 or 4 CASE knives that are superb everydays, others that don't measure up. No dud GECs - some I'm not so keen on for sure, many of their bulbous recent patterns interest me not at all, but, quality has never been lacking. Impressive from a small company in action only from 06.

I basically err towards Rick's judgement. I'm very glad both companies exist however.

9. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    In a real world showdown pitting, say, two ranchers against each other, I'd go with a Case yella CV every time. The reason? Cost. Those guys would never pay $90 or more for a GEC (which I'm almost sure they've never even heard of) when the feed store sells Cases for a lot less.

-- Mark

10. Gec fan

Gec fan

Apr 21, 2012
    I like both brands. I love the older case cant beat the red bone or tobacco stag color.I have over 200 case new and old.The newer ones dont compare even close to the older ones. What turned me on to Gec is their quality plus when case made the tekx announcement it had me searching fo another brand ,it was kinda disheartning news.Both companies employ American workers case has a larger employee base and gec has fewer both companies are great in PA but I will stick with great eastern just for the quality alone

11. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    Comparing Case's current offerings to GEC, GEC hands down. They make everything the right way and definitely don't cut corners. When I went to the factory a week ago I saw how much effort was put into a single knife.
    Comparing Case's previous offerings (pre-1970) to GEC, that would be a tough one. That is when Case made an amazing product and were more like how GEC is now. I'd probably call it a tie.

12. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    For me I think its no surprise I enjoy GEC knives more. Of the few Case's I have owned(all new stock) I cant put my finger on it but the introduction of modern machinery I feel takes the life out of a product. My industry has seen this happen as well, the automation of once man made procedures. Yes the machines can make things precise, but it does not mean they are right so to speak. Speeding things up with the automation creates its own set of issues. When I recieved my first GEC and well everyone sense the first, I was amazed at the quality and feel that any of them would be good to go for a lifetime of pocket companionship. I can not say the same for all the Case knives I have owned. I would like to try some of the older ones, and am always keeping my eyes open for a nice little vintage treasure. Someone could post a comparison tourcher test that could change my mind, I try to not make an opinioin set it stone so to speak. Prove me wrong and I will always give something a second chance. Until then my vote goes to Great Eastern Cutlery.

13. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    The thing is, Johnny didn't make any of this up.

Sometimes people just get hard up on something that works for them and they don't see anything else in a realistic light. Its okay to like what you like, but people should be honest with themselves. This goes both ways. Not just Case guys that don't see GEC for what they are but also GEC guys who brush off Case as junk. Neither are junk but like has been said, neither are really in the same category.

There are real differences. Which one is better between Case and GEC..?...That is a personal thing IMHO..

The VS stuff just reminds me of my days in the heavy chopper scene with the destruction tests.

I think a better question would be... Who has had there Sway back jack break opening their mail?

Who has had there 73 scout snap in half cutting a tomato...???

In all seriousness, Unless someone actually did a destruction test its all just going to be opinion. I don't see the need for destruction tests here. CV vs 1095 at the different hardnesses have pros and cons. We all know this. I just think get what works for you.

BUT :eek: :D If I was to pick I would want to see the new Case Bose Lanny's clip in 154cm thrown up against one of the GEC Trader's.

I think it would be neat to see how an 80$ GEC lock back stands up next to a 300$ Case slipjoint.

The thing is, I would NOT want to see heavy batoning or extreme flex tests.. because that is NOT what I buy a pocket knife for. I don't care to see either knife smashed into concrete or hammered through hardened steel. I just don't care. I can buy a knife and use it day to day and see if it will do EVERY thing I want it to do :)

I hope this doesn't come off wrong. I just think VS gets silly sometimes, but maybe that was the point of this thread :) :D

As for a personal ruling, GEC all the way. YMMV seems appropriate here.

14. concho mike

concho mike Banned BANNED

Feb 24, 2011
    Hard to use a knife for serious work if the shields fall off.
    GEC of course.

I've got a Buck with a missing shield and its driving me crazy to use it. Like walking around with no socks in my boots.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    If you know your case does all this without a hiccup then why do you even care how the 73 would do...?

What are you trying to prove is what I am asking.

Why not try a 73 in your day to day and let us know what you think?

16. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    What function does the shield perform?

-- Mark

17. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Aw, c'mon. It don' work if it don' work classy.

;)

~ P.

18. pwcb2005

pwcb2005

Jan 2, 2011
    ha ha I agree!!

19. slight

slight

May 22, 2011
    I have dozens of case knives that have been passed down through my family and it is hard to get over the fondness that I have deep down in my heart for a case knife.

But gec makes a better knife imo. I only have one but it is a favorite of mine for sure. Faux tortoise shell wharncliffe barlow. Case knives are just knives to me, but gec makes pocket jewelry that can do everything you would need to do.

20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Case makes a very good knife for the money.

GEC makes a better knife for better money.

It would be hard to find two knives from these two companies to make a fair comparison, there is very little overlap between them. Case makes a very useable knife that will rarely come up short of performance on everyday tasks. GEC uses better (harder) steels which hold an edge longer, better handle material, plus you may get a, "Wow, what is that!" when you pull one out of your pocket. If that is worth $30-$50 more, then go with the GEC. I usually do.