Case Wharncliffe Mini-Trapper

Yes, it's a good weight/size ratio. Goes well in the pocket without weighing it down. Wharncliffe is more useful than Spey - for my needs...

Mine just came in, and boyo I am well pleased! Gorgeous bone on mine, plus near perfect walk & talk.
Blades are very, very slightly offset toward the nicks when closed, which should wear in straight if they move.
The tiniest amount of light can be seen between the pile side liner and spring for about 1/4" is all.
Fore and aft pins are flush, and the large center pin is nicely domed. Nice even grinds, and shaving sharp.
A most excellent pocket knife for $45 shipped. I don't ever seem to get a poorly made Case.

IMG_8291.jpg

P.S. -- If they made this on a 3-7/8 to 4 inch frame with CPM154 steel, I'd pay $145 without blinking an eye,
and maybe seldom carry anything else.

If they made this on a 3-7/8 to 4 inch frame with CPM154 steel, I'd pay $145 without blinking an eye,

If they just made it in 440C in the same size it is now, I'd pay double the going street price of $45 and "maybe seldom carry anything else."

No gaps on mine, the springs and frame line up just a hair off and cast shadows. Not objectionable to me.
Found my camera. (Which I don't use well.)

100_3212.jpg

100_3210.jpg

100_3211.jpg

If they just made it in 440C in the same size it is now, I'd pay double the going street price of $45 and "maybe seldom carry anything else."

No gaps on mine, the springs and frame line up just a hair off and cast shadows. Not objectionable to me.
Found my camera. (Which I don't use well.)

This is my favorite pattern, and the California Clip Blade just adds to that. I'd like to see Case come out with this in a decent stainless steel myself.

Mine just came in, and boyo I am well pleased! Gorgeous bone on mine, plus near perfect walk & talk.
Blades are very, very slightly offset toward the nicks when closed, which should wear in straight if they move.
The tiniest amount of light can be seen between the pile side liner and spring for about 1/4" is all.
Fore and aft pins are flush, and the large center pin is nicely domed. Nice even grinds, and shaving sharp.
A most excellent pocket knife for $45 shipped. I don't ever seem to get a poorly made Case.

IMG_8291.jpg

P.S. -- If they made this on a 3-7/8 to 4 inch frame with CPM154 steel, I'd pay $145 without blinking an eye,

Gorgeous Case & a well took pic!:thumbup:

I got the orange smooth bone a while back and love it. Just the right size, and the two blades are just perfect.

CaseMiniTrapper.jpg

I found this thread very useful.
I got into Case through the Copperlocks.

I wanted something smaller that had no lockback (slipjoint) and two blades, to be a bit wider.
Also, to look as traditional, old fashioned, non-threatening as possible.
I remember the larger two blade trappers of my youth, but wanted something with a shorter handle.
When I saw the swayback jack Case/Bose design, I thought I'd try it out since I LOVE the wharncliffe.
Just one problem.
Realized pretty soon after I got it, that it was just too small.
This is how you learn, trial and error.
I decided I wanted something with a longer handle and just a bit larger blades. BUT still smaller than the full size trappers.
I wanted BOTH blades to be the same size, also like the trappers. The SBJ's pen blade was too small for me.
I wanted one of the blades to stay a wharnie, and figured a clip point would look nicer and be more useful than a spey for me.
I then saw a custom ALSDORF that was called a wharncliffe trapper, and that was all I needed to see.
I LOVE customs and have two Wiseman ultralite shadows (front and back pocket) when it comes to traditionals.
BUT, prefered to start with something cheaper first.
Remembering, I saw a similar design in a Case with Damascus/Stag offering, so I set out to find a cheaper alternative.
That led me here.
I'm aware there's an older version with reddish jigged bone scales (2007?), but since it's no longer available like that, the current antique sawbone will do for now.

I just received it today and plan to have it spend the next week in my pocket along with a more modern Spyderco/benchmade one-hander along for the ride.
If this does all I plan for it, I can see this being my next obsession.
Resulting in my hunting down the higher end Dam/Stag version first (about $150?) and then jumping over the Case/Bose colabs with the great modern steels like 154cm at around 300+, and instead going for a full custom from one of the well respected makers active or known on BF like Menefee/Alsdorf/dowell/Lloyd, etc.

I've hit the "high price wall" with my custom tacticals, balisongs, autos.
And have enough decent factory made one-hand/pocket clip EDCs.
It's time to build up my traditional sub collection!

Thanks again guys for this helpful thread that convinced my to pull the trigger, and the "Traditional" forum in general. :thumbup:
-John

IMG_8291.jpg

Where does one find this knife for $45 shipped

You guys have done it now. I ordered one last night. It will cause me not get another knife I was wanting or at least delay it for a while. But this handle looks better to me than that urple that I already own, though not as good as the stag single blade model. It's big advantage is the extra clip blade.

Ed J

This picture has been quoted several times already, but I can't get enough of it. I like the bone on my red one, but this one has me truly transfixed. The melding of colors, the transition of smooth to sawcut...just beautiful. I'm going to have to get one of these when I have the scratch.

Yeah, Jeff's a real enabler alright. If the one I get isn't at least that pretty, I'm going to hold it against him. :D

Ed J

Go ahead, pile on, I can take it!! ;)

I have to post a Case or Queen every now and then or you guys will think I'm just a GEC fanboy. :D

That's okay Jeff, I've got a couple of GECs headed this way too. That'll be the subject of a different thread or at least in a different thread.

Ed J

Last edited:
Go ahead, pile on, I can take it!! ;)

I have to post a Case or Queen every now and then or you guys will think I'm just a GEC fanboy. :D

Well, that trapper Black Mamba enticed me into ordering came today and I like it. It's nice enough that I won't have ride Jeff about how ugly it is and it being his fault and all that.

DecPic_005_zps44b8fc98.jpg

It's also nice enough that the pattern might just become my latest obsession...

It really would be sweet if Queen would make one of these on their No. 51 frame with amber stag bone and D2.

Ed J

Last edited:
Back