Case XX Trench Sword ?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask ......12 1/4" blade Trench Knife handle / guard marked Case XX ....I cant find any info on this "sword" ...anyone have any info on this critter ?
4SF6wwi.jpg

The stamp appears to be identical to those Case put on their Collins #18 Pequeno Machete authorized clones during WW2 for inclusion in Army and Navy M592 bailout bags.

The handle is a post-factory brass pouring.

The blade itself is a mystery to me as I am unfamiliar with Case making ANY blades that long.

Looking on the web, I'm seeing a lot of very similarly-styled knives described as 'Cog Guard Ranger' and/or 'Australian Bowie'; some allegedly dating back to WWII era and tagged as '1st Battalion Ranger Aussie Cog Guard' knives. Lots of reproductions or knock-offs of those as well. Still, I've no idea about the Case-stamped blade. There are a couple listings on the web of 'converted' Case V44 Bowies, with brass handle & guard as shown. Even then, this particular knife's blade doesn't look anything like the blades on the Case Bowies, at least those I've seen.

Apparently, a lot of the knock-offs or reproductions have also been faked as original, according to the linked page below. Has me wondering (only speculating; I really don't know) if the Case stamp might also be faked. As mentioned earlier, I don't know of any Case blade that long. Even the V44 bowies have shorter blades.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/ranger.htm

I think you have a match there on the origin of the style. A great find/link.

Cheers
GC

For what it's worth, I've linked the OP's pic in a query I made on CASE's own forum (Case Collectors Club). I'm a member there. Maybe we'll learn something as to whether the CASE stamp is genuine or not, or if they ever made any blades that long. I've no idea what to expect, but we'll see...

I've been watching replies to the post I made over on Case's Collector Forum site. Haven't heard from any CASE staff yet. Their guidelines for posting in their 'Ask Case' thread suggest allowing a few days, maybe up to a week to hear from staff (IF they reply). But other regulars there, including collectors posting images of many of CASE's biggest blades, have all agreed the knife in the posted pic is likely NOT a genuine CASE blade. None have seen anything like it, in terms of the blade profile or the length (especially).

A suggestion was made there from another member, to post over on the AAPK site as well, as there are some knowledgable collectors of CASE's big blades over there too. Maybe not a bad idea, if looking for as much constructive input as possible.

Back