1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Castolite #30 Giveaway - Attention Virginia makers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    A little while back I posted about a crematorium that relined their ovens with Castolite #30, and had about 50 bags of the stuff left over. This stuff is about $80 a bag. It is superb for cast refractory liners and forge floors. You can also cast lids for vertical forges, cast hot work table tops to weld on, etc. He had given me about 15 bags, and they were not sure about what they were going to do with the rest. Today they called me and said to come and get the remaining 30 bags. I don't need that much, but said I would come and get it. I have a friend who will help me transport and store it for the time being. He and I will use maybe 10 bags each in out foreseeable future. That leaves a lot of bags to deal with. I am offering it to anyone who wants a couple bags to use to build a forge or other high temp shop item.

So, if you live in eastern VA, or North Eastern NC, let me know here and by PM or email and I will make arrangements for you to come over and get a bag or two.

I really don't want to haul a lot of this 700 miles, but will take a few bags to Ashokan if a couple makers want to get it there.

Obviously, this is only for someone who will use it, and is on a first come first served basis. I have around 20-25 bags available.

Tip:
    Any refractory that you buy should be stored in tightly sealed tubs. The pickle tubs from Firehouse Subs, similar utility buckets from HD/lowes, and drywall/paint buckets are perfect. Just pour in the refractory and seal the lid tight. It will store for many years that way.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Ooh, might be worth driving to NY or NC for. Is there any way you would ship it?

3. Dopic1

Dopic1 Titanic Boat Insurance Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Stacy, can I use this over an existing coating? I believe it's Rutlands furnace cement in my forge or should remove it and start over.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Charlie, I don't want to ship this stuff, and I want it to go to folks who will use it on their home forges.

Dopic1, You should be able to put a new floor right over the old one. Castolite isn't the same as satanite, which is used as a coating for refractory wool.

This is for casting refractory sleeves for welding forges and larger forges. The sleeve needs a layer of wool around it to insulate it. The sleeves are usually about 1" thick.

5. SunsetFisherman

SunsetFisherman

Feb 4, 2012
    close but yet so far! any chance you ever come near the charlotte area?

6. Lu1967

Lu1967

Oct 20, 2014
    Stacy,now people are asking for it to be delivered. lol...

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I am giving bags of this to anyone who wants to come and pick it up.

If you need it, a couple hour drive is well worth the trip. About $80 a bag retail...plus shipping.

8. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks Stacy, I have a layer of 2" Kaowool in there now, but the furnace cement coating is starting to degrade so I thought I would clean it out and re-line with Castolite. I'l order from Budget Casting Supply not driving to Norfolk. I could order 2 50lb bags with shipping for what that would cost.:)

9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    I think satanite would be far better as a coating over insu-wool. Castolite is a castable refractory.

10. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    Okay, thanks I'll give that a shot