Catfish stocked in our lake? Time to make some stink bait!

leatherman

leathermoderator
But I need some recipes, doesn't have to stink just work. :p

Catfish Melange

Melt 1 lb.of Velveta cheese for about 1 min. in microwave. Then chop 6-8 oz. of raw chicken livers. Add to the cheese. Next, add a healthy spoon of minced garlic or garlic powder. Then mix in 1 can of dog, or cat food, and add 1 dozen minnows and enough flour to give a dough consistency. Mix in a food processor.
This bait works best on treble hooks or bait tubes.

Cajun Bait

In a blender, mix about 1 lb. of cut fish (rotten minnows work great). Add 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 Cup parmesean cheese, 1 box cherry Jello, 1/4 cup molasses, 3 Tbsps of onion salt and garlic salt, 1 cup bread crumbs, and.3 Tablespoons of soy sauce. Remove this mixture to a mixing bowl. Add flour to thicken then work into a dough by hand. To use, simply pinch off a small chunk, roll it into a ball and place on a #4 treble hook.

Old Man Liver

In a blender place a pound of chicken livers, a half a box of cornflakes, 1/2 cup garlic powder, 1/3 cup of each: parmesan cheese-molasses-sugar. Blend well place in small dishes and freeze what you don't plan to use as this bait will spoil very quick. Best if used when fresh. Add flour to thicken if needed.

Chick-a-Beer Bait

3 cups corn meal
3 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 or 2 beers, preferably flat and old..
1 dozen or so old minnows, shad, tuna, mackerel or salmon, with the oil.
10 oz corn syrup
1 tub chicken livers and whatever else you feel like putting in there, shrimp, dog food, cat food, road kill whatever.
1 container big enough to hold all of that and be completely sealed off, I mean completely!!

After you mix all that together, add milk or more beer to get the proper peanut butter-like consistency. Seal it all off and let it sit as long as you want. I go about 2 or 3 weeks with it outside, but when crack it open be prepared, because the pungent aroma will knock you for a loop!. If it thickens up too much I spray it down with some oil and mix it all up.

Catfish are scary though :p

catfish_zps46c073bf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not stinkbait, but this is my old chum recipe:
Fill a 5 gal. bucket 1/3 full of cheap kibble-type dog food. Add garlic powder, coffee grounds, and salt to your heart's content. Add water to the mixture until bucket is 3/4 full.
Let the sealed bucket sit in the sun for up to a week.... then stand clear as you dump this over your favorite cat hole:) Also attracts bass, bluegill, and baitfish.

Medina Lake is my home water, but now its known as "Medina Puddle"... Lake dipped to BELOW 7% level this winter. Gonna take a long time to re-fill.

Sweet!! Thanks for the recipes! :D

Bandit0, I got your PM but havent had the time to chime back, sorry about that. Our little pond I dont even know if it has a name, its hidden behind the trees off 1604 in Live Oak, The city stocks it once or twice a year and sponsors a kids day of fishing in the spring. Its a hoot.

Lennox, yep, that is one disturbing cat fish! I've been gaffed one too many times by the little snots that it seems like they are that nasty. :p

Chicken livers and Alka seltzer in a bait bag, the older the liver the better. The alka seltzer foams and spreads the scent around.

Yep! Chicken livers are on my shopping list. :)

Might have some fun with the daughter in the meantime, tell her I'm going to bread and fry the little livers for supper! :D

I know this is months old, but I saw it and wanted to contribute my (and my old best friend Judd) recipe for catfish bait.

1 loaf CHEAP white bread, thin sliced
1 large jar strawberry jam

Make the largest jam sandwich you've ever had, the entire loaf as a single sandwich, basically just slather jam between every slice.
Chop loaf sandwich on cutting board into smallish cubes, then throw in a large mixing bowl (if you want to keep it neat) and smash it all into softball size balls.
Place softball size balls in 1 quart ziplock bags and refrigerate if not being used within 24 hours.

When you want to go fishing, grab a bag, your tackle, and go get em!
Just pinch off a ball and bait your hook. Texas cats LOVE strawberry jam. ;)

Btw, I recently relocated to Converse, just down the street from ya'll. Glad to see other Texans.

Chris

Lots of guys in my neck of the woods here on this thread. I mostly fly fish these days but have done lots of fishing for catfish since I was a kid in this area. For juglines and trotlines I always used small sunfish because they stay on the hook well and would catch some sizeable cats as well as turtles. For rod & reel fishing I would use chicken livers and dough/stink bait and with either of those would tend to have greater success by chumming the area with dog food or deer corn. Here is an old Texas recipe for catfish bait that can be modified to suit what you have on hand as well as your tolerance for stinky stuff.

Take a small bucket and put some refrigerated biscuits (the tube kind) and/or cereal (corn flakes or Wheaties work well) and pour Big Red soda into it til you get the right consistency after mixing & mashing it all up. You can add old cheese, chicken blood, chopped chicken livers, chopped minnows or shad as well as other stinky things into the mix if you desire. Put the lid on the bucket and let it set overnight safe from raccoons. You can always buy some stink or dough bait at Academy but its nice to be able to teach your kids how to do things like this on their own.

I don't know why Big Red works other than its sweet but it does seem to work better than other sodas. It's a cream soda with red dye so doesn't have any fruit flavorings in it. Some Texas coastal guides will soak bait shrimp in Big Red mostly for Reds (figures right?) during the winter. I learned about it as a little kid growing up in the 60's from my grandfather who was an outdoor writer and lived on Lake Travis. Big Red has been around since the late 30's, although did not get the name Big Red until 1969, so no telling how old the basic recipe for Big Red catfish bait is. I was actually in a Big Red TV commercial in the early 70's when the bottling plant was in San Antonio but have alway been more of a Dr Pepper guy. Catfish aren't so crazy about Dr Pepper though.

Good luck fishing.

Sweet!!! Good to see this still going!! :D

I have logged all the recipes and going to eventually use every one! :)

This month is renewal month so we're off to get a new fishing license! Thinking on getting the salt water stamp this year again, that was a hoot! Some of the fish out of salt water are downright intimidating.

Back