Recommendation? Celtic Hallstatt xiphos style sword - anyone have this one?

I've been looking to get one of this style short sword for a while. I saw this one and it was relatively cheap, but used EN45 steel, full tang and sharpened. It's not peened, but if the screw on pommel is decent I'd say it was worth the $80 or so if it's decent quality. It said the Rockwell was about 48 which is typical for this type of steel. I didn't get it on eBay, but a site which had other decent sword brands like Windlass, Hanwei, Devil's Edge and Deepeeka, so I figured it shouldn't be some Pakistani fake ad with false claims, BUT I haven't seen any reviews on it. It was the last one (and truly was because I've gone back and it says Out of Stock) so I jumped, but I'm usually a fully research kind of guy. Again, for $80 it won't be a total wash, but I'd prefer to know now if it's a decent keeper or a catch and release. So, without the accompanying milk carton... Have you seen this sword?

Kris Cutlery Celtic sword review

Wow! I do hope that's it! The site didn't mention Kris as the manufacturer, but I know they make great weapons. That the reviewer got it fairly cheap makes me think it could be, but 1. The steel is noted at 5160, not EN45 which it says on the site, and the brass rings on the grip appear rounded and protruding on the Kris but flat and smooth on the one I got. Everything else looks the same though. If it is, I got lucky as hell! Thanks so much for sharing that! I feel SO much better!

It does certainly resemble the Kris cutlery model but I don't remember that one coming with a sheath. I'll have to dig through some old pictures.

It does certainly resemble the Kris cutlery model but I don't remember that one coming with a sheath. I'll have to dig through some old pictures.
In the review it says the Kris comes with a sheath. I think there's a pic too.

4 hilt studs on yours, 5 on the Kris. Yours could be a cheap copy.
Ouch. Good catch. My heart just dropped...
Should or can I post the site I bought it from? Not sure about BladeForum rules. Says lifetime warranty and I have 2 days to return it.

Mods can delete it if not allowed.

Don't panic. Both examples could be by the same maker.
Remember, Kris Cutlery is an importer not a manufacturer.

Don't panic. Both examples could be by the same maker.
Remember, Kris Cutlery is an importer not a manufacturer.
Yeah, it's really confusing anymore what you're getting and who's making it. Windlass does the Balaur Arms medieval swords now, as well as some Cold Steel. Valiant Arms used to have Chinese blades, DSA ... who knows?
I guess this Celtic Web thing is the same as Kris Cutlery as far as just being an importer. I wish they would give more origin information... but like I said, I recognize a lot of their swords as also being on Kult of Athena so they just aren't as up front about the makers as they are, I guess.
Yes, I panicked but I'm a type A. I tend to do that. Should be here next week. If I can, I'll take off the pommel and see what the tang and assembly is like.

Should be here next week. If I can, I'll take off the pommel and see what the tang and assembly is like.

Two things I would look at on a sword this price would be the tang (hopefully the pommel isn't epoxied and can just be unscrewed) and edge geometry. Assuming you don't find a welded on rat tail and assuming the blade is relatively thin behind the edges, it may be decent enough for the price.

Well, I finally got my sword from Celtic WebMerchants today after almost two months. Wish I could say it was worth the wait, but….

It’s a total POS. NOT what I was expecting. First thing I noticed as I pulled it out of the plastic was the leather on the handle (cheap thin vinyl shoe coating leather) was peeling up at the guard. I had some glue at work, so I figured I’d fix it here. As I started to apply the glue, one of the brass colored studs popped off, so I had to glue that back on, too. As I was gluing that, I noticed the pommel was loose and spinning (threaded pommel with a nut) so I put Loctite on that. Now I’m noticing the brass bands around the grip are uneven, but at least they seem secure for now. The edges on the curved guard are rough, uneven and unsanded or polished, like someone carved them out with a jigsaw and left it. Let’s not even discuss the gap!

It was only then I felt the edge, which was supposed to be “sharp”, and specifically stated to be so in the ad description. Totally blunt. Not a trace of an edge. HEMA blunt where the edge is actually flattened. Almost impossible to sharpen with anything other than a belt sander.

The scabbard, if you can call it that, isn’t worth ANYTHING! The rounded ends have crude Sharpie marks along the inside to give a rough idea of where to cut, and I do mean ROUGH! It looks like a 2nd grader did the trim with some safety scissors. I feel bad for the cow that gave it’s life to produce this trash.

imgur.com/a/dKooCEg

Very sorry I actually spent money on this. I got a Devil’s Edge Xiphos and Windlass Pugio, both of which were good quality and around the same price, though both are smaller blades,

The customer service rep was just as appalled as I was after I uploaded the pics and offered me 50% off so it ended up costing me about $60 total, which I think it’s worth it. I’m glad they acknowledged that, even for a budget sword, there has to be SOME level of quality standards and this was well below anything acceptable. So Celtic Webmerchants made good at least, though obviously, I'll be a lot more cautious and do more research before making another purchase through them.

I spent about an hour with my Accusharp putting an edge on it and touched it up with some of my Lansky stones. There were metal shavings everywhere! BUT it’s sharp enough to slice paper, so at least you wouldn’t want to get hit smacked with it and I’m not embarrassed to put it on display sans scabbard…if you don’t look too close. And don’t hit anything hard with it. I probably need a new Accusharp now…I was hesitant to even start, but the EN45 or whatever it’s made of is fairly soft steel - certainly won’t keep an edge, but I’m not going to be attacking any tatami mats with it.

giphy.gif

Sorry to hear that. Not stunned at that price point but disappointed for you.

Back