Center line on thin stock?

Hankins

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Specifically what is a good way to scribe a center line for a .100 kitchen blade ...
Never used this thin of stock before

Specifically what is a good way to scribe a center line for a .100 kitchen blade ...
Never used this thin of stock before
I recently opened a thread about this..... anyone of this DIY tool will mark center line , one or two line ...
https://bladeforums.com/threads/diy-edge-marking-tool.1722415/
I just try on 1.5mm steel and all of them works but taking good picture of small detail is not easy task for me :D
rjSBnlb.jpg

bHMZK37.jpg

A quick and dirty way would be to use as close to a 0.100 size drill bit. You can probably use an 1/8" bit and do both sides, then you'll have 2 lines that are only 0.050" apart...

A height gauge with a good carbide tip is one of the best and easiest ways. Put it on a flat surface, set your height where you'd like, and scribe. If you check ebay for the vernier style height gauges, you can often find them relatively cheap, vs a digital or dial type gauge.

One thing left out in most methods people give is darkening the edge. Darken the edge with a permanent sharpie, or use Dykem - whatever method you use, a dark edge shows the scribe line better.

Exactly. Use a proper paint marker pen for steel, then scribing calipers. Easy and good. I have a dedicated knife making centre scribe tool as well, bit use calipers as often.

A quick and dirty way would be to use as close to a 0.100 size drill bit. You can probably use an 1/8" bit and do both sides, then you'll have 2 lines that are only 0.050" apart...

Yeah I use Dykem to paint the edge then the drill bit method with it lying on a flat surface. You don't need to scribe the exact center if you generate two scribes bracketing the center as weo said...

+1 for the height gauge, i've bought more than one scriber - and the height gauge with a carbide scribe has made a WORLD of difference, and everything you do is based off the lines you make for yourself.

Back