Cerakote primer? or Jerry Wonka? Update w/pics

Wonder if somehow it missed the baking step after the coating was applied?

They’d probably give you a warranty upgrade on that to a satin or Comp finish. Probably worth your while. I wish I had some defective coatings now...

I believe I’m with Dogdrawz in thinking that it is a water transfer pattern over cerakote underneath. That tan base certainly doesn’t look like the carbon stuff underneath the paint when I strip a Busse or Swamprat.

ETA: if it is cerakote underneath, I’d not bother with stripping anymore. Sure, it looks kinda rough right now, but beating the snot out of it like the user it is will take care of a lot of the remaining digi-pattern.

I have used a spray stripper on a few crinkle coats. It was not the citrus stuff. You do not want to have it anywhere but outside and do not breath in around it. It would melt off crinkle coat in about 15 min. I bet it would take the rest of the digi paint off without hurting the tan if the tan is ceracoat. Something else you could do is etch the logo and take it to a machine shop and have them media blast it.

I suggest getting some Zip Strip, use it outdoors or at least in a well ventilated area. Warm the knife with a hair dryer and pour the Zip Strip on liberally. It will take some time, Ceracoat is tough stuff.

Just a heads up, some people were finding TigherHide micarta under ceracoat.

8ED13353-4E60-42E1-B591-029389CB8A2C-501-0000008E0C0A40B6.jpg
Think that is the same brand I used but in a spray can.

I suggest getting some Zip Strip, use it outdoors or at least in a well ventilated area. Warm the knife with a hair dryer and pour the Zip Strip on liberally. It will take some time, Ceracoat is tough stuff.

Just a heads up, some people were finding TigherHide micarta under ceracoat.

8ED13353-4E60-42E1-B591-029389CB8A2C-501-0000008E0C0A40B6.jpg

+ 1 on this. Trust me you won't regret it. Coatings are crap in my opinion, there's nothing like just plain old steel. You won't have to worry about it rusting either.

Ok, sorry about the long time between updates. I finally dug out this SFNO and put it through another couple stripper baths, which didn't achieve too much. Ultimately I used a combination of packing tape, to mechanically lift the peeling decal off, and a heavy scrub brush to clean it up. I'm pretty happy with it. It has a worn post apocalyptic style. The grey/taupe? cerakote is super hard and smooth I don't know what the black is. It's really hard to get off the micarta, but has come off the bare steel, revealing that only the blade and ricosso where covered in the grey.

So I'm more than happy to use it like this, but if possible I would find a way to clean up the micarta without losing the machined texture. Is there something like a brass brush? or a blaster filled with walnut shells or something?

7aoPyXT.jpg

VgSR7b2.jpg

Last edited:
I believe when AzTim stripped one of mine giving it his signature finish. He left the handles on it at my request, the handles lost no texture. They actually feel to have more grip now ??? So maybe find someone with a blast cabinet and start with least abrasive ?
I do like the look of the knife now !!!! All this SFNO talk is making me want another lol :)

Back