ceramic bladed knives

Hi Folks - I apologize if this is one of those "oh no, not this again" topics. Just trying to get some guidance on ceramic bladed knifes. I am looking for an "EDC" style folder or possibly a fixed blade. I have no experience with ceramic blades. I currently EDC a Spypderco CF Sage in S30v. Great knife -- Just looking into some other options.

Thanks!
brew

They're far too fragile for EDC type tasks IMO and a pain to sharpen, not a normal pain mind you. They're very prone to chipping and should be used only on very soft matter IMO, but my last ceramic knife was several years ago. I'd never buy one again.

I have a ceramic Kyocera chef knife. I don't think I'd ever get another ceramic blade. I can't really change the blade geometry if I'm unhappy with it. I would really only recommend them to those people who aren't knife knuts and never sharpen their stuff.

As others said, too brittle for normal knife use. I got my mom a ceramic victorinox santoku knife for mothers day a few years ago. It was great for a while, sliced foods real easy, but I inspected it after a few months and the edges was pretty badly chipped. I would guess it still cuts ok but the ceramic is not tough.

You get a nice shot of adrenaline when you drop a $100 ceramic knife. ;)

That said, if you still want one, Boker has a couple edc folders that look nice--anti MC and anti gravity I think.

I wonder if some of those chips are from other utensiles? Most non-knife people just toss them in a drawer, dishwasher, etc..
I personally avoid those knives, they will get dull, and are way too hard to sharpen easily.

The only knife I would consider getting with a ceramic blade is a paring knife. I see no other practical use for a ceramic bladed knife. As mentioned, it's too brittle for EDC use.

I chipped a ceramic knife after having it for one week. I threw it away.

Unless you are trying to get through a metal detector with a blade I see no reason in having one.

Truly appreciate the feedback. I own close to 70 knives - all of them steel in one form or another. Looks like it's gonna stay that way. :)

I chipped a ceramic knife after having it for one week. I threw it away.

Unless you are trying to get through a metal detector with a blade I see no reason in having one.
Actually that wouldn't work unless you got some kind of a black market ceramic blade since laws require some portion of metallic substance to be put into either the handle or the blade so that it still sets off metal detectors.

ceramic knives are great in the kitchen but outside kitchen I see very little use like other said. I still like my small cermaic kitchen knife (a 3" vegetable knife) that my brother gave to me which he got from Hong Kong. Its great in kitchen but I would not dream to get ceramic knife for EDC.

ceramic knives are great in the kitchen but outside kitchen I see very little use like other said. I still like my small cermaic kitchen knife (a 3" vegetable knife) that my brother gave to me which he got from Hong Kong. Its great in kitchen but I would not dream to get ceramic knife for EDC.

They're not even that great in the kitchen. I've owned a set of Kyocera knives since they first came out.

After playing around with how thin you can cut a tomato you won't have much more to do, they don't do better than steel knives because they have no 'heft' with which to cut down on things. They are too light to chop and don't cut meat, cheeses, bread, and hard vegetables like carrots very well at all. I chipped my santoku after slicing through french bread crust.

Unless all you want to do is garnish a few radishes or slice (not chop) up a bunch of lettuce, you will find ceramic knives pretty-much suck.

Ceramic knives make great finishing steels. They are as smooth as glass and harder than a rock.

Back