1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Ceramic rod size for Spyderco serrations?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by extrastout, Feb 18, 2017.

1. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    What size round ceramic rods work for Spyderco serrations, and where can I get them. I will be sharpening the Salt 1 with the proper technique, sharpening one serration at a time. There are large and small serrations on this blade, which means I need 2 different size rods

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    What size round ceramic rods work for Spyderco serrations, and where can I get them. I will be sharpening the Salt 1 with the proper technique, sharpening one serration at a time. There are large and small serrations on this blade, which means I need 2 different size rods.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  3. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Spyderco Tri-angle rods will do what you need.

4. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    I want to find round rods. I am avoiding the sharpmaker and the rods. Like I said I will be sharpening one serration at a time. Its a pain looking around for the correct rods online without seeing them. Im just trying to get a lead from someone with first hand experience with the correct size rods, especially for the smaller cerations

This technique, not dragging the blade down a sharpmaker

[video]https://youtu.be/hjzcMrlaP58[/video]

5. 1234

1234 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2005
    In my opinion the best all round ceramic stones would be the medium and fine- Spyderco - SP701MF,, but they are discontinued,
    still I would try to find those for your specific needs, there are other stones out there, but I really like these.
    https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=95

1234,,,:)

6. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Why post the same exact question in multiple sub-forums??? :confused: (I answered in your other post.)

7. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    You do realize that the tri-angle rods have rounded corners, right? I doubt you'd be able to find round rods small enough for the small serrations, as they'd be pretty fragile (I've never seen any).

Also, you can use that technique the guy shows in the video with the sharpmaker / sharpmaker rods. You don't have to "drag the blade down a sharpmaker"; you can keep the movement strictly vertical and do one serration at a time, even the larger serrations, fairly easily.

Honestly, the tri-angle rods are your best bet for the smaller serrations, and they can be used by hand just fine if that's really what you want to do.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  8. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    I posted here first for a broader answer from more members. Since this is about Spyderco serrations I figure I would post this question there as well. Just because you answered the question does not mean its the answer Im looking for or agree with. I'm looking for round rods. Move along, you don't need to worry about me. Thanks for the heads up 1234

9. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    LMAO! You're welcome... :rolleyes:

BTW, it's not good form to post the EXACT same post in two sub-forums, regardless of which ones they are. Will likely get merged.

PS - Seems like you already know the answer. Why bother asking us if you don't want to hear what the experienced folks have to say? :foot:

10. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    And merged... ;)

11. Knibes

Knibes

Oct 9, 2013
    There is nothing "proper" about sharpening one serration at a time. Using the sharpmaker sharpens the points. Sal said that the serrations cut best after the points have been smoothed over a bit from sharpening.

12. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009

...and YOU are asking US for help??? You gotta be kiddin'.

13. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah... :rolleyes: (That was his reply to me over in General before the threads were merged.)

He apparently doesn't want advice from those of us that have the experience / knowledge to give it. I'm sure he heard somewhere that each serration has to be sharpened individually, probably some youtuber if I had to guess. :yawn: Sometimes I wonder why I bother. :grumpy:

If anything, this shows just how patient a man that Sal really is!!! :thumbup:

14. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    Really stop blowing up my thread with air, Are you trying to get your post count up. My form is my problem. I wanted answers from everyone and answers from the specific Spyderco forum to get a quick answer. unfortunatley I ran into a fanboy, that feels he needs to be respected or something. Nope, move along! I would appreciate any answers from any members that do not just stick with just spyderco products and have an original mind to think outside the Spyderco ceramic triangle rods. Again I want information on round ceramic rod sizes for the serrations on a Spyderco knife.

15. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    Sals wrong IMHO. you sharpen the serrations away on the sharpmaker and ruin the rods. Im looking for round rods that fit the size of the serrations. Unfortunatlly this I should of just stuck with the gerneral knife section because this thread just got ruined

16. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    This thread can be closed thank you all

17. dr_fosg8

dr_fosg8 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Well, you sir apparently already know what you want and need. Sooo, why bother asking?

18. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    I know I don't want Spyderco sharpmaker ceramic rods. Im looking for ceramic round rods, maybe a set or kit IDK. Im looking for people that have sharpened spydercos and know the sizes and product that work best for the small and large serrations. Wish I stuck to general discussion but..... thanks again to 1234 for listening and giving me a great suggestion which im looking into. Any more suggestion besides triangular sharp maker rods will be greatly appreciated

19. dr_fosg8

dr_fosg8 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2013
    If you find a round ceramic rod small enough for the small serrations please let us know!

20. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    You're a but thick, aren't you? :rolleyes: Fanboy eh? Not quite (check my per-forum post count if you must), but I do have a LOT of experience with Spyderco products since about 1990. I don't think you quite get just how much experience and research went into the tri-angle rods. But don't believe me if you want to go waste some money. I've been here for 13 years, I don't think I need to worry about my post count. :yawn:

Sal, the guy who designed the product some almost 40 years ago, is wrong??? :eek: That about says it all here. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't have mattered one iota whether the thread was merged here in the Spyderco forum or in the General Discussion forum, the response would have basically been the same. You will NOT ruin the sharpmaker rods by sharpening serrations on them. I still have an original Sharpmaker from the late 70's / early 80's (was Dad's) that has sharpened plenty of serrations, and the rods are still just as good as the day they were new. Your concern is unfounded.

[​IMG]

HOW do you know that? Have you used them? Spyderco makes some of the best ceramic sharpening stones, and has made a lot of different shapes over the years, round, teardrop, etc. (I have quite a few of 'em) and yet the triangular sharpmaker rods remain. Why do you think that is? Maybe because folks obviously more educated in the field than you are made that decision. Think about that for a moment.

[​IMG]
    (The shape on the right might look familiar if you followed 1234's link. The tri-angle stones work better. And that an experienced opinion.;))

Sincerely,
    - a "fanboy". :p

Mick_1KRR likes this.