Ceramic Rods

Assuming you're talking about the Spyderco rods ...

I use a pencil eraser and clean them after every dozen or so strokes of the knife. Takes about 10 seconds to get most of the metal off.

Every now and then I'll use one of those Scotchbrite plastic scourers with warm water.

Keeps 'em working just fine.

Assuming you're talking about the Spyderco rods ...

I use a pencil eraser and clean them after every dozen or so strokes of the knife. Takes about 10 seconds to get most of the metal off.

Every now and then I'll use one of those Scotchbrite plastic scourers with warm water.

Keeps 'em working just fine.
Would an eraser be fine for a lansky ceramic rod?

Lansky makes a ceramic rod cleaner called the eraser block.

I've been using one for a couple of weeks and find it works much better than anything else I've used, like white eraser blocks or no scratch pads.

Soap-impregnated steel wool (+ water) has worked best for me. I don't know what brands there might be in different parts of the world, but you should find it at the cleaning supplies isle in most supermarkets. I try to clean my rods after every time I use them, but quite often it seems to be more like after every second or third use...

I throw mine in the dishwasher every week or so. Whatever is in dishwasher detergent scours my sharpmaker rods very clean with no effort on my part.

How do you guys clean ceramic rods and how often do you clean them?

Roger--- I use a powdered abrasive cleanser with a scouring pad as recommended by Spyderco and others and do so whenever it feels like the rods are not abrading effectively.

Soap-impregnated steel wool (+ water) has worked best for me. I don't know what brands there might be in different parts of the world, but you should find it at the cleaning supplies isle in most supermarkets. I try to clean my rods after every time I use them, but quite often it seems to be more like after every second or third use...

Way-O--- Steel to remove steel??? Since the ceramics are designed to abrade metal, it seems to me that using steel wool as a scrubber might be somewhat counterproductive.

Would an eraser be fine for a lansky ceramic rod?
Yep ... an inexpensive ink eraser you can buy almost anywhere works very well.

Should the rods get really dirty, there are many ways you can clean them more thoroughly: scrub with Comet or Barkeeper's Friend, run through the dishwasher, or soak for a while in something acidic like naval jelly or ScrubFree cleaner (my favorite.)

Steel to remove steel??? Since the ceramics are designed to abrade metal, it seems to me that using steel wool as a scrubber might be somewhat counterproductive.
I wondered about that, too, at first, but it works just fine. My guess is that the lubricating qualities of the soap and water and the fact that the steel wool's strands are so flexible is what prevents the steel wool itself from leaving metal on the rod.

The pink ink erasers also work well on Lansky stones (if you use them dry like I do).

Way-O--- Steel to remove steel??? Since the ceramics are designed to abrade metal, it seems to me that using steel wool as a scrubber might be somewhat counterproductive.

Try it. Sure the steel wool itself wears, but it also gets into the 'pores' of the ceramic like nothing else, and the soapy water washes all the metal dust away. It really does work, and has been discussed before on this forum several times.

I've had oven cleaner recommended in the past, but the product I tried didn't do much. YMMV.

I clean mine with green scotch bright and comet. take like a minute let them dry good to go.

Back