Ceramic- the right way to sharpen a Busse.

sevenedges

BANNED
I decided to lick up my Battle Mistress for the first time using a ceramic rod I bought while in California. I don't have a very good track record with rods of this type so I only gave it about five strokes. I was very impressed how only five strokes brought the edge to factory sharpness. I then stropped the flat side only with a leather belt and some aluminum oxide compound. Wow I thought, maybe I'll give her some more. So I stropped the blade about ten to fifteen more times on the rod and then stropped the blade about thirty times on each side with the belt and compound. The knife far exceeds the sharpness of the factory edge, and now am a true beliver in the rod. Now if I could only get my hands on one of the new handled Battle Mistresses I'd be set..... for a while!!
smile.gif

Later, Jeff

I have found that a ceramic stick is all that is needed as well. As long as the edge doesn't get really dinged up while chopping, then I use a fine diamond hone. But if you give it a quick touch up with the rod after every few of times using it, it comes right back like a razor.

When you use the rod, do you freehand sharpen? IE, is the rod in a jig of some sort? What rod do you use? Would a spyderco stick work as well or are you using a ceramic"steel"? Any help is appreciated.

------------------

When in the field, I carry two of the Spydie sticks, and a small DMT hone. At home, I use a longer ceramic stick that has a handle on it. I've gotten to the point that I can sharpen with them freehand pretty good. But until I got to that point, I used the Spydie sticks in their V-holder. That thing puts a great edge on a blade that isn't too dull yet. If you get them really dull, or dinged, more work or a diamond hone is needed.

The rod I use is a IDAHONE brand ceramic rod.
It is about 12 inches long with a handle on it. Yes, I use it freehand by pointing the tip of the rod onto my leg and holding it with my left hand. I then strop the blade from the bottom up. This works better for me than moving the rod. Later, Jeff

...just watch how much you strop Salamander, cause if you strop too much, you'll strop the edge round and it won't cut anything, so remember...low numbers of passes on sticking and stroping.
smile.gif

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

Back