CF Lrg Sodbuster but...

it's a $100. clams!
Case has the Carbon Fiber Large Sodbuster available but they ain't cheap!
I just got my SMKW catalog.

Carbon fiber is not that nice. Now if they put some good steel to go with it then maybe. It cracks me up, probably costs Case maybe 5 clams ( :D ) extra in materials. Sure its light :confused:

"Clams" is a reference to clam shells, which were used by Native Americans long before the advent of the dollar. Carbon fiber on the other hand, is just plain silly.

lol! Thanks guys for the humor and history lesson.
I do believe a $50. price tag on these CF Soddies would have sold quite a few.
I Have a Red one coming from a guy named Brian on BF, anyhoo.

Just goes to show the Zippo influence of creating a collector item is alive and well. Who in the world would have thought that one of the most basic work knife designs ever designed would be turned into $ 100 knife by simply changing the man made scale material?

Same liners, same springs, same blades, same pins, same stamped manufacture... at five times the price. ???

And at that price range I think most of us middle class guys would agree that isn't really supposed to be a hard working everyday beater like its yellow and black cousins.

OTOH, great for CASE if they can pull it off! Lots of CASE branded cutlery out there that I wonder about these days.

Robert

Well said, Robert!
I have a friend making me a Soddie for less money!!

Maybe it will put a little perspective on the 50 clam price tag on the GEC O1 sodbuster.

I like carbon fiber, I think it looks neat. I like stag and bone also. Probably a negligible difference in price for the manufacturer and yet everyone is willing to pay for the natural materials. I look at this the same as the Case Calibur line, maybe some folks who wouldn't ordinarily buy Case will become slipjoint converts.

Ben

Ouch, that's out of my range :(
Like Kevin said, makes the GEC Bullnose much more attractive, especially with the glow handles :D

Don't get me started on Zippo, they lost me when they did away with the COTY lighters (Collectible of the Year), and turned the Zippo Click collectors club first to free (I was a paid charter member), then disbanded it entirely. :grumpy: I haven't bought a new production Zippo in years and I ain't in any hurry to do so either, this from a guy who used to scour their catalogs for cool new offerings, which as noted were the same thing with different surface treatments. They used us collectors to keep them going when smoking bans started, then threw us to the curb when the economy was booming. Now they don't bother to send me anything, even by email (!)

Only vintage Zippos for me now...and nice user Case knives of course.

Thanks Ben and Zippo.
I'm so tempted but I prefer Micarta or G10 over CF. If I did not have a G10 Soddie on the way, I would get a Case CF Lrg Sodbuster.
Rolf

Thanks Ben and Zippo.
I'm so tempted but I prefer Micarta or G10 over CF. If I did not have a G10 Soddie on the way, I would get a Case CF Lrg Sodbuster.
Rolf
I'm real curious to what you will think about the G10 soddie. I picked up a G10 '18 pattern stockman and really, really like it :eek: I know G10 isn't very traditional, but it looks, feels and slices great!

I've got a large Case Soddie thats about 25 years old...them black plastic covers are still fine...is this one of those "silk purse out of a sow's ear" things???:p

I'm real curious to what you will think about the G10 soddie. I picked up a G10 '18 pattern stockman and really, really like it :eek: I know G10 isn't very traditional, but it looks, feels and slices great!

I think G10 on a soddie is about the best thing ever. An incredibly tough scale material on an incredibly tough pattern? True work knife. Especially with a blade that is 3 1/2" long.

Back