CFST Battle Tanto

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Tried a couple new things on this one. I call this the "CFST Battle Tanto". The 9” blade is in my own laminate, and consists of a Crucible CPM-3v core and T1100 carbon fiber cladding. T1100 carbon fiber is an aerospace grade iteration made with advanced processes and resins, seeking to improve tensile strength and compressive strength beyond that of other carbon fiber products. Although this absolutely does not result in a blade as strong as a mono-steel blade, it offers a rather unique aesthetic while also making it lighter in weight.

A stainless steel seppa with "neko-gaki", a cat-scratch pattern, adds a touch of brightness to the black Richlite tsuba. A stainless steel plate was inlaid in the ricasso to allow a place for my maker's mark.

The 5-1/4” handle consists of a TeroTuf core, sleeved in carbon fiber, with carbon fiber tsukaito. A beautiful 24k gold-plated sterling silver crane menuki adds a touch of color to the project.

14-1/2” overall length, 12-5/8 ounces. Balances just in front of the seppa.

The simple deerskin-lined black leather scabbard was made by my bride.

2021010520402738--5724002390741577365-photo%20jan%2005%2C%201%2030%2038%20pm-X3.jpg

2021010520402738--8491133657438207433-IMG_9155-X3.jpg

Big thanks, as always, to @SharpByCoop for the great photos and killer service.

Thanks for looking!

Impressive work man! That laminate looks great. Incredible details too. Peaked spine looks perfectly done, a bold move with those laminate edges to "tell on you" if you're off. That tsuba is pretty sweet too. Well done.

Sensational my friend!!!! Talk about ‘out-of-the-box’ buddy...you’ve taken that statement to a new level!

Your creativity is so sublime and then you move those thoughts through reality to perfection....Bravo!!!! :)

Your Lady’s scabbard for this foreboding beast is a delight in understatement...so refined. :cool:

Congratulations to the new owner and of course Coop’s always exceptional photography....:D

Sensational my friend!!!! Talk about ‘out-of-the-box’ buddy...you’ve taken that statement to a new level!

Your creativity is so sublime and then you move those thoughts through reality to perfection....Bravo!!!! :)

Your Lady’s scabbard for this foreboding beast is a delight in understatement...so refined. :cool:

Congratulations to the new owner and of course Coop’s always exceptional photography....:D
Agreed. I'd say you're getting the hang of this!

very innovative Matt - a seemingly unlikely collection of materials that somehow look exactly "right" when synthesized ....

Bill

Absolutely stunning! I do have one question. In the lower right hand corner of the first photo, it looks like the tip of the blade from the spine, but the longer you stare at it the more it plays tricks on your eyes! Is it the top of the blades point?

Is it a secret on how the carbon fiber is attached to the steel? It looks sweet

Impressive work man! That laminate looks great. Incredible details too. Peaked spine looks perfectly done, a bold move with those laminate edges to "tell on you" if you're off. That tsuba is pretty sweet too. Well done.

Thanks, bud. I debated about doing the beveled spine. It's worse than it looks to do because of the disparity in the materials. CF is so soft compared to the steel core, I ended up using stones and hard-backed paper to finish it.

wow, kinda futuristic looking ! the guard shaping is really cool. is that an inset name plate ? great project :thumbsup:

what was it like grinding that blade ? unique experience? :D

Thanks, Johnny! Yeah, inset plate - couldn't think of any other way to put my name on it. :p

Need to be really careful grinding it - CF goes away FAST if you aren't careful, and the steel is, well... CPM-3v. Two very different materials when it comes to abrasives!!!

Agreed. I'd say you're getting the hang of this!

Naah. Still just wingin' it. :D

Absolutely stunning! I do have one question. In the lower right hand corner of the first photo, it looks like the tip of the blade from the spine, but the longer you stare at it the more it plays tricks on your eyes! Is it the top of the blades point?

You're looking at the top of the tip, with the blade slightly canted to the right. The beveled spine and bright steel against the black of the CF makes this a tough shot.

Is it a secret on how the carbon fiber is attached to the steel? It looks sweet

I'm certainly not the first guy to do this, but I haven't spoken with the other two men that I'm aware of that have done it. This was researched and tested by me for the better part of two years, relying heavily on some contacts from aerospace engineering that I knew in my previous life, and LOTS of pestering some engineers that work for adhesive manufacturers. ;)

Back