1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Chainpuri Review and Pictures

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Skyler R., Nov 17, 2006.

1. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    I picked up this little chainpuri from DOTD 11/01 and it was promptly delivered by Yangdu. Once opening the box I found this little jewel of a kukri.

Blade - The blade of the chainpuri is very light and elegant. The blade is fairly thin and narrow, it also has a lethal effectiveness look to it. The finish on the blade is very smooth and even, with the normal near mirror finish. The blade is quite even and flat, it shows very little hammer marks and is among one of the best in this attribute I have seen so far. The edge has a decent amount of convex grind with a decent edge, however it seems that the edge is rolled, most likely due to the high polish. The roll in the edge is not large, and can only be felt rather then really seen, and it should come out without much effort. The amount of convex on the chainpuri is really nice to see, since it's a slender and thinner blade, the convex helps maintain the blades stability. While the chainpuri has more convex then on some of the other edges, the amount of convex is not large, which will help when working with lighter material. The kukri has a very well formed point that is one of the best of the kukris that I own for piercing.The sword of shiva is very well done; it is even and well formed, with good lines. The cho is also very well done, while it is a closed cho, it is still fairly well polished throughout most of the inside. The spine has the normal central ridge that almost all other Himalayan Imports kukris share; it is very well done with nice crisp lines, with the ridge being directly in the middle.

Handle - The handle on the chainpuri is also very well done. The handle is quite a bit more narrow and thinner then what I have seen on any other HI it's size (my 13" balance has a bigger handle). The handle finish is very well done, with no rough spots or hot areas. The ring is well formed and without dips or unfinished areas. The handle also has quite a few decorations, such as the checkering above the ring, but also it has some decoration at the butt of the handle. The decorations are very well done with even lines that do not wonder and they are all at the same depth. The handle also has a fairly large white coloration in the handle that you don't see on very many other horn handles. The coloration is a nice refresher, since it adds a little more character to the otherwise black handle. Other then the decoration at the butt of the handle that make the chainpuri unique, it also comes without a butt cap, which makes it rather interesting since it seems to keep the lines of the handle flowing (it adds an interesting change to the handle, it prevents any kind of cuts or chaffing that may be caused by the butt cap). While the handle lacks the butt cap, it does not lack the keeper, which is well formed and polished without any sharp corners. The bolster on the chainpuri is the habaki style and is well formed with only a little of the solder showing. The bolster fits fairly tight with only a little laha showing.

Chakma and Karda - The chakma and karda share the same smooth and even finish that the kukri has. The chakma and karda are also more slender then others I have seen, they are a great match to the kukri. The chakma is fairly sharp with a better edge then some I have seen. The handles on the tools are just as well finished as on the kukri with some white coloring on the chakma. Although the chakma and karda are well made and finished they are to small for me to use computably. The handles on the chakma and karda are 2 1/2" for the karda and 2 1/4" for the chakma. The blades are 2 3/4" for the karda and 2 3/8" for the chakma.

Scabbard - The scabbard on the chainpuri is well made with quality thick leather that is smooth and without any rough areas. The fit of the kukri inside of the scabbard is great at the bolster, snug yet still loose enough to easily pull free. The blade inside of the scabbard is also well done with very little rattling. The fitting of the chakma and karda are decent, though the chakma seems to slide about an inch deeper then the karda (about the same in either pocket). The chape is well formed and has a smooth even solder line. The chape is well fitting around the scabbard without open areas between it and the scabbard. The chape is also well polished and is not overly pointy. The frog is well made of good quality leather like the rest of the scabbard, and it fits great.

Chopping - After using the karda a little to straiten the edge that had been rolled due to the polish, I got to use it in some brush removal and on a sapling that was in the way of other things. The chainpuri preformed about the same as my 13" balance, however the balance performs better overall. The chainpuri was still more then enough knife for the jobs that I asked of it, and I am sure that it could stand up to far more. After chopping down the tree, I limbed it quite easily then chopped it up into smaller pieces. The chainpuri preformed very well at handling the sapling much better then some larger kukri, it really zips though light stuff, much like the little balance.

Overall I have to say that Yangdu provided me with another wonderful knife to add to my collection. Not only is it very nice to look at, but it is also more then adequate for several jobs. The 15" chainpuri feels like a fighter first and foremost, but it can also handle many lighter jobs around the home or camp site.

Thanks Yangdu for another winner.

Blade - 9 7/8"
    Handle - 5 1/8"
    Point of Balance - 2 1/4" away from bolster
    Blade Thickness - 3/8"
    Weight - 13oz
    Kami - Bura

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam

Apr 24, 2006
    AWESOME PICS!!! love the review skyler :D keep up the good work :thumbup:

3. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks Jai. Hopefully the Boomerang will come tomorrow, so maybe another review.

4. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam

Apr 24, 2006
    whoa!!! cant wait for that one... ive been wanting to grab one.
    i wonder how it compares to an m43???

5. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    I will compare it to mine once I get the boomerang, though of course as far as chopping goes I can't since I don't plain on useing my pretty antler handled M43. ;)

6. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam

Apr 24, 2006
    lol understood... i am mainly wondering how the weight and balance is :thumbup:

7. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great review and Pictures, thank you Skyler

8. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Hey Skyler; that was a great review. I haven't seen anyone list a point of balance for awhile.

munk

9. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks Yangdu and Munk.

I need to add some more detailed measurements to these reviews. So many verities of kukris that HI offers sometimes a more detailed measurements may help others when trying to compare to another kukri or at least giving them a general idea of the size of it. I keep meaning to put in the center of percussion as well as width of the blade at the center of percussion as well as the width close to the bolster. Adding if there is distal taper may also help explain the kukri better.