chainsaw chain steel

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
Is there any way to find out what steel the chain is? I'm not keen on mystery steel but got some "Sabre" chains from my dad that I wanted to try and pound into some damascus.

Thanks for any help. :)

All I could find was a distributer for Sabre and the e-mail got returned. Found another sire concerned with wood milling and the site owner said Sabre chains were no longer available? Spark test and see what you get.

Thanks Mark -- I talked to a local chainsaw man and he said that the Sabre brand was made by Emerson Electric back in the day. He had no idea about the steels used though.

Just pound on it, and see what ya get. It'll be interesting, that's for sure. You could always sandwich in a little L6 or O1 if you were worried about not ending up with a decent blade.

If IG was here, he would know. He is the chainsaw chain doctor. He isn't here because he is probably roasting another skunk on his forge and basting it with beer.

John Andrews said:
If IG was here, he would know. He is the chainsaw chain doctor. He isn't here because he is probably roasting another skunk on his forge and basting it with beer.
Smoked skunk beats fried treerats every-time. :barf: :barf: I weld up chainsaw chain in a canister with 1084 powder and haven't had any problem with it. I got around 10# of the chain that people keep giving me. :)

indian george said:
Smoked skunk beats fried treerats every-time. :barf: :barf: I weld up chainsaw chain in a canister with 1084 powder and haven't had any problem with it. I got around 10# of the chain that people keep giving me. :)

If you are looking to get rid of some chain I could take some off your hands.
Larry

I've used Saber chains in a can with 1084 (and various other steels) as George suggested and they cut/hold-an-edge very well. They still don't beat straight high carbon blades or layered damascus but, they will do a hell of a fine job if properly HT'ed (my .02). My "Ugly Stick" was from Saber chain.

If you've got enough forge up a small test piece and quench in water, if it breaks like glass and has a fine grain use the rest of the chain. Heat to non magnetic and quench, start out tempering at 350 deg.F. and edge test, keep raising the temp 15-25 deg. at a time till the edge quits chipping and comes back true.

If the test piece is a little low in carbon like some hay bailier chain I forged once, add some pieces of 1095-1084, some 15&20 or other high carbon steels to get the carbon content up to where it'll make a good knife.

Good luck, I've got some I'm working on that's the bigest I've ever seen, looks like it's all high carbon so we'll see how the test blade comes out. Chainsaw has some increadable paterns, and like cable you never know exactly what your gonna get.

Nowicki said:
If you are looking to get rid of some chain I could take some off your hands.
Larry
Larry: If you want a 2 or 3 pounds just send me $$$ for postage.
e mail me your address or call me @ 508 999 7090. Or you can come pick it up. :D :D

Nowicki said:
I'm good for that. How you want it.
Excuse me??? How do you want it?? J. may go that way but I don't. Dude I need your address to do the USPS thing for the postage cost. :D

Back