How To Chakmak and Karda?

Howdy folks.

One of the first things I did when I got my WWII today was pull both of these little buggers out. Of course, I paid no attention to which one was where or what their orientation was relative to each other. Is there any particular way they’re supposed to go in the sheath?

Thanks, Doug

Not really. Usually there's one way that fits the best, but sometimes it doesn't matter at all.

I think david nailed it. I've never heard of a traditional this goes here, this goes there anyhow.

Where they fit the best is the winner. Sadly they often times go completely unnoticed and unloved next to the big lovely companion blades. I know I don't give them nearly enough attention.

Thanks guys. I will just fiddle around to find a way where they insert to about the same depth and are somewhat equally challenging to pull back out :p

Doug

Never thought about it much before but it's pretty seldom they are equal. Close sometimes but usually one is shorter.

I know on at least one khukuri in my collection, the karda has a different handle shape (tapering smaller towards the butt) while the chakma has a squared-off butt, so you can immediately tell which is which without having to remove them from the sheath. But this doesn't seem to be a very common practice, as most seem to have identical handles on the karda & chakma.

Forgive my silly (and possibly off-topic) question, but what purpose do these little companion blades serve? Are they supposed to be small utility knives? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they are meant for sharpening but have not seen an explanation of this function.

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

One, the one with no edge acts like a steel and helps realign the edge if you happen to hit something hard.
The other is exactly what you said, a utility knife. For anything you need a small knife for, cutting a string, I've heard they even use them like a utensil for eating etc.

I've found that if there is one of the two that you use more often than the other, that particular tool goes in the pocket that is the most easily accessed by you when wearing it out in the woods.

So mine do fit a bit better one way than the other. Also, I tried the Chakmak a few days ago and to my surprise, parts of the blade felt noticeably sharper afterward. Cool :thumbsup:

Back