Champion Kelly Works Railroad axe

So I found an axe head marked with:
"Champion
Kelly Works"

and on the reverse side it is stamped with the name of a midwestern rail road company that I'm quite familiar with that is no longer in existance. Just wondering if anyone has any information about this type of axe head? The only thing I've been able to find with similar markings are boys axes with the same "Champion/Kelly Works" markings on them but if I remember correctly, this axe head seemed larger than a boys axe(though I am somewhat of an axe newb and could be wrong). Would the railroad use boys axes or could this be something else? Or does Kelly make a Champion line that I'm unfamiliar with? Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately I didn't get any measurements or pictures of it, and the lady was asking $25 for it and wouldn't accept my last remaining $20 for it. May go back to pick it up but we'll see.

-H

Here's one that's bigger than a boys axe, from an old auction listing:

9904592_1_l.jpg

"Axe, issued and stamped by the W.P.A. and also stamped by the maker, 'Champion Kelly Works'...Size: 30.5" L Blade: 7.5" L Weight: 5lbs "

from http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9904592

Champion Kelly works was a pre True Temper line or company (not sure)- so pre 1949. Operator may know more. Here's one of mine that is now with a friend.

a9967790dd3711e2aea022000a9d0ee7_7.jpg

Champion is an old Kelly line that was used for some time. It was more popular in the 1920s to 1940s so it's most likely from that time frame I would guess. Simple markings as u stated, but a durable work line for Kelly. Once American fork and hoe took over u don't see the champion line in production as much, but was still used.

Champion is an old Kelly line that was used for some time. It was more popular in the 1920s to 1940s so it's most likely from that time frame I would guess. Simple markings as u stated, but a durable work line for Kelly. Once American fork and hoe took over u don't see the champion line in production as much, but was still used.

They produced axes for many railroad lines - and they do have value due to the overall scarcity of those lines in total numbers produced, and it's hard to find really good pieces because they got the living snot beat out of them by those workers.

Back