Chandan handles

Those of you lucky enough to have a Khuk with a Chandan handle, what do you think of them compared to the regular handle?

I don't have a Chandan handled khukuri but at one time quite a while back there was a problem with them cracking severely. I don't know if it was because it wasn't cured properly or what but I would keep a Chandan handle well oiled with mineral oil, glycerin or other non-odorless medium.

The one I have seems harder and denser than the regular handles. I have another on the way so I'll let you know how it is. The one I have also seems well cured. No shrinkage so far.

Raktha Chandan is a different wood from normal chandan.

It's much harder and denser, better suited for a handle.

hollowdweller said:
OH, I didn't realize.
Me neither. I was under the impression that there were both Chandan and Raktha Chandan handles coming through since Bill says Chandan one time and Raktha Chandan another.:rolleyes:

I recently got one of the kerambits with Raktha Chandan...all I know is that it's a dang nice grip!

The color is more satured too......very nice.

OK. I did some looking and chandan is sandalwood? I couldn't find ratha chandan except that ratha meant like "chariot" or "vehicle" or "wheel" so is Ratha chandan some sort of sandalwood traditionally used for wagon wheels or something? :confused:

hollowdweller said:
OK. I did some looking and chandan is sandalwood? I couldn't find ratha chandan except that ratha meant like "chariot" or "vehicle" or "wheel" so is Ratha chandan some sort of sandalwood traditionally used for wagon wheels or something? :confused:
I'd think it has too be different from the sandalwood, (I should've cleared that up but I thought most everyone already knew that they were one and the same), since the Raktha Chandan seems to be making fine handles.

hollowdweller said:

It is spelt "raktha" which means blood in sanskrit and most Indian languages.The ordinary sandalwood is quite soft and wouldnt make good knife handles,though it would sure smell great :) .
Yaj.

Back