Chaparral LightWeight VS Native 5 LightWeight

chaparral lightweight vs native 5 lightweight

• Native 5 LW

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Chaparral LW

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters
these 2 knives have always interested me and i keep going back and forth on what one to get. I use my knives for cardboard zip ties and tape so not a hard user but i would love to hear all your opinions on what one you all like better and the reasons why.

I voted for the Chap, but I wouldn't leave this one up to a poll, as they're extremely different knives. The Chaparral is an amazing slicer. It uses some of the thinnest blade stock I've ever seen on a modern folder and it has an extremely lean grind. It's also very, very thin overall. It's one of my absolute favorite knives as it is a fantastic cutter, but it is really light and thin, is in no way designed for abuse and, for some, it may feel delicate (I haven't found this to be the case, but just a warning).

The Native, on the other hand, is a stout little folder that cuts well, but is definitely built to take more of a beating. Thicker stock, more hand-filling handle, it's a tougher work knife than the Chap, though it's not going to match the cutting performance.

Both are great knives, so it comes down to what you want and value.

What he said! I would pick the Native because I thought the Lightweight Chap was too thin in the handle. I like the thin blade stock but the handle seems unnecessarily thin. The other variations of the Chap have thicker scales that I prefer. The Native won't be quite as slicey but it's still a great cutter by most standards.

The Native 5 has a distinct distal taper to the blade as well as a swedge and is an excellent slicer IMHO, although I don't have a Chaparral to compare it to (yet). Very solid lockup, the result of many iterations of Spyderco's Constant Quality Improvement program.

I only voted for the Chap bc I have a Native and the Chap is on my list to get. I think they're both must haves. Whereas out of the Spyderco line the PM2, Milli and Endura are practically interchangeable knives.

As it has been said, it’s hard to beat the Chap in pure cutting ability. It’s also very thin and light making it super easy to carry.
That being said, I voted for, and prefer the Native. For me, it’s more ergonomic, more robust, and comes in more varieties. It’s no slouch when it comes to slicing either.
I look at the Chap as more of a gents knife and the Native as the more capable EDC.

Insipid Moniker Insipid Moniker nailed it.
But I prefer the N5LW.
There’s just something confidence inspiring about the way it locks into my hand.

I own both, albeit the Native in Maxamet. I've used Spyderco S35VN enough to say that XHP on the Chaparral is better, and XHP is hard to come by. The Chaparral is also cheaper, while only being a tiny bit smaller.

If you are dead set on the Native 5 LW, though, it is not a bag knife. Decent blade stock, very aggressively ground so it's thin behind the edge and cuts well. It's also very light and comfortable in the hand, better if you have bigger hands than the Chaparral. You can also get the Native in different steels. Neither knife has a rigidity problem, but the Native is a little more rigid.

End of the day, both knives are great. I prefer a smaller slicier knife, so the Chaparral has my vote any day. It also comes in a less common blue grey color, so it stands out.

For me, the Native by a long shot. As others said, the Chap is too thin for my main carry.

Even though I love my traditional folders, and I'm a sucker for super tactical CRK or Striders and such, but I begrudgingly admit the Native 5 is my favorite knife for daily use. It fits my hand perfectly, it's a lock back, uses good steel, and is stout enough I can do some medium+ level work with it. (Add the fact it's not an arm and leg to replace if I lose it.) My second knife alternates often, but my main carry for the last few years has been a Native 5 G10 in S35VN.

Pocket drop pic of the Native with today's back up.

Attachments

• IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 27
I voted for the Chap, but I wouldn't leave this one up to a poll, as they're extremely different knives. The Chaparral is an amazing slicer. It uses some of the thinnest blade stock I've ever seen on a modern folder and it has an extremely lean grind. It's also very, very thin overall. It's one of my absolute favorite knives as it is a fantastic cutter, but it is really light and thin, is in no way designed for abuse and, for some, it may feel delicate (I haven't found this to be the case, but just a warning).

The Native, on the other hand, is a stout little folder that cuts well, but is definitely built to take more of a beating. Thicker stock, more hand-filling handle, it's a tougher work knife than the Chap, though it's not going to match the cutting performance.

Both are great knives, so it comes down to what you want and value.

I agree. The Chap is a slicer for sure. The Native will cut great but it's not as slicey. For me however the Native fits my hand better so I'd go with it.

Substitute the Native 5 Salt into the equation and the answer is obvious. The LC200N is a near perfect knife steel. If there is any chance your knife is going to be ever be used in wet or acidic environments (food), then the decision is a no brainer.

The ergos on the Native 5 are also hard to beat.

I love my Native 5 Salt series. All the benefits of the standard Native 5 that have been noted, along with amazing corrosion resistance and very respectable edge retention.

More of the same experience here. Chaparral has better “pure” cutting geometry, the Native is a bit more of an all-rounder. I do like the Native’s ergos a bit more. I voted N5LW...if I could get a N5 in XHP that would be amazing...

I voted for the Native 5- I have the Lightweight in S30V and keep it as part of my EDC rotation. Nice size and very comfortable.

I bought a Chaparral on-line a while back, and of the many such purchases I've made it's the only knife I ever returned for a refund. It had the Raffir Noble scales and like many have complained, they look pretty good on one side but are basically colored acrylic on the other, exposing all internal knife components. Not pretty. That was also my first exposure to the wire clip, which at the time I did not like, although I've since come to appreciate them a little more. Sorry but I just couldn't get rid of that knife fast enough.

Back