$^^#$## Chapes!

Triton

Gold Member
Well I have given up for this evening in disgust. I have been playing with some Nickel Silver trying to make a decent chape and have finally decided that the stuff that I bought was just too bloody thick for the job I am trying to do. I tried getting some 16 gauge and some 18 gauge stuff and apparently I was wasting my time. I need something more workable in a cold application. So, back to the drawing board. On the plus side I have learned a bit from this experience. I have a pretty good design worked out, I just have to put it into practice with some decent metal. Anybody else ever made a chape?

Hi Triton You try any aluminum? Its often used as a cheap substitute for silver in the Philippines. Also have you tried flattening out and thinning your material? Depending on how its alloyed it should probably draw out pretty well especially since silver is so soft. Anyways theres always the brass route or copper sheathing route. I know my local menards sells little sheets for hobbiest in varying sizes. Of course its not as pretty as silver but its a nice easy material to work with cold.

Hey Federico,

To answer your questions, yes I thought about aluminum but the thing is it kind of scares me. They think it might have something to do with alzheimers disease. My grandfather died of that, so I already have the hereditary disposition. I just can not take the chance you know? That also means know canned sodas too... :)

I am also going to go the brass route but it has to go with the right color scheme. Most people now seem to want to go the black and silver route rather then the gold and black or gold and brown one. I will do it eventually however! I think I am going to order some 22 gauge nickel silver.

Hate to suggest this but pure silver instead of any allowed stuff is really really soft to work with and the price isnt too bad. I personally dont see any problems going thin versus thick. If the silver chape is around the wood core then the core should give it plenty of support from even the rowdiest users.

Back