Charcoal dymondwood question

Hi all,

can somebody help me out and tell me what exactly Bucks charcoal dymondwood is? Which wood is used for it? Is it really charred, before being stabilized?

And to those who have a knife with charcoal dymondwood handles: How are they holding up in everyday use? Any differences to other dymondwood ?

Thanks!

Dymondwood is a resin impregnated layered plywood it's very tough and durable. The dymondwood is dyed different colors, the charcoal is a gray colored wood due to dye not being burned.

JB

All Dymondwood or Dymalux is a manufactured product.It comprises layers of wood that is permeated with an epoxy resin and then placed under high pressure.

It is impervious to water,most chemicals and is extremely durable.

I would imagine,that in order to obtain different colors,they add some type of dye.

Sometimes this process is referred to as "stabilized wood".

PS: I see that I was slow on the draw.LOL

Thanks folks! I'm kinda glad that the charcoal only refers to the color and not the material / process o_O

I have a limited number of models in dark or light grey Dymondwood. I believe it has shown up on some Bucks in red dye also.
These are the color I preferred but have a couple almost completely black. The 300s and Vantages varied even NIB back when they were being produced. I ended up only buying knives from shops that would let me search thru their stock to find a light colored one. I have carried a small Vantage in DW for many years with little to no noticeable pocket wear....Drop it from six foot height onto sharp rocks and you might get a scratch...My only Vantage injury has been a broken screw where the clip caught on the edge of a flatbed trailer and bent enough to break off the head. Was repaired by Buck and I still use it. The clips have scratched the post on the kitchen chair I sit in, I am not allowed to sit in any others....300
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This is an example of a 300 with very dark DW scales. Don't get excited it's just a 301 with the spey blade and it's spring removed. I wanted a two blade one.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
I have a limited number of models in dark or light grey Dymondwood. I believe it has shown up on some Bucks in red dye also.
These are the color I preferred but have a couple almost completely black. The 300s and Vantages varied even NIB back when they were being produced. I ended up only buying knives from shops that would let me search thru their stock to find a light colored one. I have carried a small Vantage in DW for many years with little to no noticeable pocket wear....Drop it from six foot height onto sharp rocks and you might get a scratch...My only Vantage injury has been a broken screw where the clip caught on the edge of a flatbed trailer and bent enough to break off the head. Was repaired by Buck and I still use it. The clips have scratched the post on the kitchen chair I sit in, I am not allowed to sit in any others....300
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This is an example of a 300 with very dark DW scales. Don't get excited it's just a 301 with the spey blade and it's spring removed. I wanted a two blade one.
standard.jpg
Thanks 300, those look great!

I like the DW that has lighter streaks in the wood. I like the green shade also, but the light has to be right. 300

Stabilized wood like that is very durable. I have used it in my hunting rifles for years. I prefer it to regular wood because it is more durable, being nearly indestructible. I prefer it to synthetic stocks because it is warmer and quieter in the woods. On knife handles, it has a good look and a good feel and will never wear out. Scratches can be polished, though it is not easy to scratch.

Stabilized wood like that is very durable. I have used it in my hunting rifles for years. I prefer it to regular wood because it is more durable, being nearly indestructible. I prefer it to synthetic stocks because it is warmer and quieter in the woods. On knife handles, it has a good look and a good feel and will never wear out. Scratches can be polished, though it is not easy to scratch.
true. the best of both worlds......

Back