1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 7 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways will be livestreamed @ 5pm Eastern, Sunday Feb 17!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Laconico Gemini, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Chattanooga Overland Adventure Festival

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by B Griffin, Jan 29, 2019.

1. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Some friends and acquaintances are putting together a really cool event called The Chattanooga Overland Adventure Festival this coming Spring.It is going to be a lot of fun for the whole family. There will be multiple presentations and learning stations, and I will be participating in a few ways. One is that I will be doing a presentation on basic knife skills, where I will be speaking on the historical uses of knives, and the development of blade profiles and geometries, as well as demonstrating some of them in their intended uses. I will also be doing a presentation on fieldcraft applications of knife techniques. It will be on working with organic materials, to fashion and produce field expedient tools and utensils, from a sort of primitive living aspect. I may also do a presentation on wet weather fire starting techniques since it will be a spring time event. Another thing we are looking into is how we may set up a projector so that I can have my slideshow available to do a presentation on an introduction to wild plants, and on track and scat identification as well.

It will be held at the Trials Training Center, a 650 acre trails and wilderness complex in Sequatchie Tennessee, just a half hour drive from Chattanooga Tennessee, the weekend of April 26-28. It is very much a family friendly event, with lessons and activities geared toward empowering families to adventure together.

It is a large complex with a mix of trails and wilderness areas, and there are even two waterfalls on the property, one fairly large and one pretty small.

Directions Here
    https://trialstrainingcenter.com/location-directions/

There will be overlanding as well, They will be doing staggered group rides of all levels to the surrounding trails throughout the weekend. It’ll be assisted with the Gps App Gaia that will have a 3 month premium subscription free with purchase of the event ticket. Each ride will be supported by a leader and follow up driver/rider and will be according to drivers skill level.

It looks like the pre-registration package is going to be $120 for the weekend, which includes passes for all of the events, comes with a small adventure kit that includes a headlamp a small knife and a fire steel, and it also includes primitive camping accommodations on site.

There are three tickets that include cabins which are $220 each.

At the gate ticket prices are $120 for tickets plus primitive camping, or $60 dollars for just the passes to the events. At the gate pricing does not include the adventure kit.

Also there are other options for accommodations as well. Besides the primitive camping areas and the cabins, there are several motels just 20 minutes from the sight in Jasper TN and Kimball TN. If you click on the acomodations tab near the top of the page their are links for all of the hotels in the area.

I will pass on more information and details as I have them And for more information you can contact David at [email protected]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    wildmanh likes this.
  2. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Things will be a little different this go-round. In years past I have usually chosen to represent Fiddleback Forge in the Bushcraft category with those types of uses. As below with with a shot of the original Bushfinger from a class with some friends whose sons were Boy Scouts about 8 or 9 years ago, or the Hunter...ironically with some friends from my daughter's school who were leaving for basic training soon at the time a year after that, or the mid-tech Kephart a few years after those...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since this is not a dedicated Bushcraft event, but more geared toward adventuring as a family in various circumstances, I a going to go with representing Fiddleback Forge in the EDC, vacation, Day-Hiking, and Backpacking sort of applications.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wildmanh, VANCE, NoRest and 1 other person like this.
  3. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 9, 2000
    Sounds neat.

B Griffin likes this.
  4. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    It's going to be an awesome event!! Here is more about it. The entry price isn't just per person, it's per family as the whole purpose behind the event is for us to educate and empower families to adventure together safely and more confidently. One of the subjects I will be presenting on with a slide show is on animal track and scat identification, and how to tell more about their sizes and dispositions from the context clues in the area.

wildmanh likes this.
  5. Hunam

Hunam

Jan 9, 2019
    The amount of sausage in the pics of this forum users is astounding. And they say Americans don't eat sausage. XD

6. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Really? Maybe I've missed something lately, but I think I have seen more steaks, ribs, butts, chicken breasts, and fish in this forum than I have sausage. But I think most people who like day hikes and also like meat take summer sausages or beef jerky, or both, on their hikes. because it keeps and travels better than say a perfectly cooked steak, that few would really want to save for later and eat cold on a trail somewhere...

7. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    This is the official poster for this event. If you have any questions, you can send an email to ChattanoogaOverlandAdventure @ gmail.com and David will be happy to answer them.
    [​IMG]

wildmanh and VANCE like this.