1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Chaves Ultramar Redencion Street detent too strong

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Eric5273, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Eric5273

Eric5273

Mar 30, 2018
    I just received this knife yesterday from BladeHQ, and the detent is way too strong. At first I figured the pivot was too tight, but once the knife is open, it will fall shut under it’s own weight when I remove the lock bar. So the pivot is obviously not the issue.

One of the reasons I got this knife was for the great action that all the reviewers claimed it has. However, it’s so tight now that I cannot deploy it one handed. Instead I must open it two handed like you would open a slipjoint, and even then it requires way more force than your typical slipjoint, to the point that the thumb studs dig into my fingers.

I played with the knife for about a half hour last night, and just kept opening and closing it, and it did get a slight bit easier to open during that time, but it’s still a long ways from being able to open one handed.

Will this break in over time or should I send it back? Or is there anything else I can do to adjust it without damaging it. I’ve never disassembled a knife, so that’s not really something I’m comfortable doing to my new $300 knife.

2. fq55

fq55 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Just return it. If you end up keeping it and then selling your gonna take a bad hit on the secondary market. Return and exchange or get something else.

3. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    If ceramic detent ball I would not hold my breath of it getting much lighter any time too soon. That ball may never wear down. The detent being strong seems to be a combination of how high the ball sits and how deep the detent hole is cut. I have a 456 with a shallow detent hole and it is quite soft. Have ZT 0900 with barely any ball showing but the hole is deep and it is hard. But at least those are steel and might wear down over time, but ceramic is so much harder. My thoughts any way. Me, if way too hard for my liking, I would move it along or return. Life is too short for uncomfortable or irritating knife.

4. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I was looking at those. Too bad they’re so small or I’d consider getting one. Personally , I like a strong detent.

thecigarguy likes this.
  5. Eric5273

Eric5273

Mar 30, 2018
    I called BladeHQ and they told me it should loosen up over time. They said as long as I didn’t use the knife to cut anything, I can return it within 60 days. So I think I’ll just open and close it regularly for a couple of weeks and see if it loosens up. Otherwise I’ll send it back.

It’s a shame because I love the design of the knife. It kind of reminds me of a small Medford, but at a much lower price point. The quality is definitely there.

HOKIE_FAN likes this.
  6. Eric5273

Eric5273

Mar 30, 2018
    Well, I just sent it back. It never loosened up. I think I’m going to buy a Medford, just trying to decide which one. I don’t want something too huge, so I was thinking either a Praetorian Genesis, or maybe a 187F.

HOKIE_FAN likes this.
  7. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2011
    I think about 187 too...
    Already a year

8. Cutterr

Cutterr

Mar 13, 2018
    I’m in the same boat I just got mine today and there’s no way I can even come close to opening it with one hand or use my thumb to flick it open. I watched a couple reviews and I was so excited about the action. I always wanted Adam a thumb stub with great action and I thought I had found one with this nice but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

9. payton206

payton206

Jan 22, 2014
    The detent in mine is very strong and I love it. I can flick it all day

10. vanadium

vanadium Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2003
    If you like to tinker, you can chamfer the detent hole. Careful, it's a one-way street.

11. ribeyemediumrare

ribeyemediumrare

Oct 5, 2018
    you can put a tiny amount of diamond stropping paste on the detent hole with a toothpick and work the blade for a while only the initial opening movement to chamfer the detent hole, then when it gets softer clean all the paste residue off and add a small drop of oil on the detent hole

12. 925Geek

925Geek

Aug 3, 2018
    Man I wish I had read this thread before I got mine today in the mail! Buyers remorse big time.

13. Scott K.

Scott K. Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Mine works like champ. It did need to be broke in. Make sure the screw that hold steel/detect ball is very tight!

Mine wasn’t all the way tight, once firmly secured the action was way better.

@925Geek

14. `br4dz-

`br4dz- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Chaves ultramar redencion's are manufactured to have a strong detent. Being as such, this knife is not your typical slow roll thumb stud knife, like a sebenza for example. With such a strong detent, proper thumb placement and abrupt force pushing up and out is neccessary to make the blade fly open. My favorite opening method is the middle finger push (not flick), but both opening methods definitely require proper form and isn't for everyone. That being said, I absolutely love my redencion, and somewhat take pleasure in knowing no one will want to borrow it from me to cut anything since they cannot open it :)

15. aboynamedsue

aboynamedsue Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2015
    Mine has a strong detent as well but I can open and close one handed.
    If I were you, I will just return it to BHQ for replacement because it is such a great knife.

16. Cutterr

Cutterr

Mar 13, 2018
    There is light at the end of the tunnel. If you work it like crazy eventually it does get better. You will have some soar thumbs but it will be worth it

17. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    While I have never gotten one of these I too have experienced several lately where the detent was ridiculous. A Koenig, Hinderer, Reate, CRK. All with detents painful or impossible to break. Sold or shipped back the next day. Used to like strong detent, but anymore I have come to appreciate a milder feel. As long as blade does not drop from handle with reasonable shake, I am sticking with the 5/10 detents from now on. I like being able to control the speed. With softer detent I can flip it hard or soft by altering pressure. With strong detent it rockets out like it wants. Done with that. Funny how tastes change.

But glad to have seen this thread because was considering one of these. Thx.

aboynamedsue likes this.
  18. 925Geek

925Geek

Aug 3, 2018
    I just got an alert on EBay. They have them for a steal at $290 free shipping from one seller. I’ll just suffer through two handed opening for now and hope the detent ball or recess wears some to make this a one handed opener as designed. I’ll also adjust the detent housing screw to see if it makes a difference either way. I’m used to difficult ultratech Microtech springs but this one is easily 15+lbs force to open. My thumb can handle the strain but not the form factor of the thumb stub in conjunction with the force.

19. 925Geek

925Geek

Aug 3, 2018
    Ok I feel stupid. Once I was holding the damn thing the way it wants, it opens like a dream. If you have any pressure on the frame lock prior to opening you are working against yourself. A bit tricky but hey it’s worth the hand adjustment. I’m in love.