Cheap EDC for student journalist

I can recommend the Kershaw Emersons. I've has the CQC6 and the CQC7. Both were outstanding for lower cost everyday knives. They were very solid and dependable, and easy to resharpen.

As far as travelling overseas, like others have said... I'd suggest picking up something inexpensive when you get where you're going.

I wouldn't carry a knife at all. Most journalists need to conform to be successful.

As a reporter and/or photojournalist, I found it best to carry the most inoffensive of knives. Early on, mine was a Kamp King from Boy Scout days, later a SAK, and when heading into a possible or actual violent situation, none at all. Occasionally, when covering a story involving a major public figure, like a big shot politician, I would have to empty my pockets for security inspections, and even my inoffensive SAK would attract scrutiny, although always returned to me. Sometimes no knives are allowed, so I would leave it in my car before venturing forth. I still do some location photography, and a multitool can come in handy for quick gear fixes, so I carry a Leatherman Charge TTi that handles all my needs. It’s convenient for when I have to hold up background paper with one hand and cutting it to size with the other, and on only a few occasions, over decades, it saved the job.* When not on assignment, I carry a dedicated folder and either a SAK or Juice S2 for just out and about.

*Afghan saying often scribed on their daggers:”You may need me but once in your life, and for this, you must carry me all your life.” ;)

I thought the rules were under 3" and you had to have a reason to carry the knife (which could sort of be anything) if it was a locking blade.
Each country has its own rules. In Spain you cannot actually carry anything, and its up to the law enforcement criteria to decide if it is justified for you to have it on you or not. My suggestion is that anytime you get in a vehicle (car, bush, train, etc.) you put your knife in the luggage in the trunk.

....why not just get a Victorinox Swiss army knife?
While each country is different, this stands true for most of them. In UK, avoid locking blades. However in the rest of Europe, you can carry a Vic Rucksak or equivalent Wegner Ranger and none will care about it. Just avoid the mean looking ones such as the green ruberized Vic Soldier... go for the red OHT instead (and you will also get the benefit of the tweezers).

A multitool such as any leatherman will also come handy for a variety of tasks and will have an even lower profile. You can get a Leatherman Charge with pocket clip also. Not as ergonomic as a true knife, but much better than no knife.

Opinels are also readily available arround here, just like SAKs. You can buy them anywhere in Europe for cheap.

If you plan on touching Spain, send me a message and I will try to solve any questions you might have while in here.

as above said, living in Europe and based on my experience I'll tell you to get a SAK, either bring it with you or buy it on arrival. Four options for you:

20170516_120755_zpsvnzznlvt.jpg

Most countries will allow a SAK or Opinel (or similar slipjoint or traditional pattern) and you'll avoid any hassle acting responsibly. SAKs are very useful during traveling due to their tools.

If you're dead set on a OHO folder get something inexpensive, small and that you can afford to lose or give to the authorities, like the SRM 7010, a $4 Wallmart flipper or something of the like.

Finally, if you insist on covering your basis I'd recommend getting a Kershaw OSO Sweet as someone recommended before (under 4 inch, under $50, Assisted, linerlock...) or a similar kershaw.

On the higher end and budget, if you're sure you want a quality, reliable tool with the most high utility and you are sure you won't lose it, up your $50 a bit and get a Pacific Salt, Salt I or II or a Dragonfly Salt.

The H1 steel will prove excellent, tough, forgiving, and easy to sharpen. You can rely on the lock, awesome ergos, lightweight and durable construction and a color that won't offend most people and give a "friendly" aspect to your tool in case it ever gets to that.
Good luck and tell us how it goes! :thumbsup:

The SAK is going to be your best bet but instead of getting ticked off at the European knife limitations take the opportunity while you're abroad to buy some SAKs locally that might not be so readily available stateside.

Another vote for a swiss army knife! Though i'm a bit biased, being half swiss :D. My favorite is the Pioneer. Nice size for the pocket and does everything an EDC should. I love the aluminum scales too, much more durable than the plastic.

I hate to be on a bandwagon, but seriously, for international travel you really can't beat a SAK. Tons of functionality, classy styling (depending on color) and almost universally legal.

I like to travel with a small multitool as well, but I never consider it my "knife". They're just too cumbersome for me to keep in the pocket. I like the Gerber Dime. Small enough to not raise concern, big enough to still be useful and cheap enough to lose. The Dime + SAK should fall within your budget as well.

Two suggestions:
1. Go to WIKI type knife laws, and look up country you will be visiting, that should give you general idea of what is legal and allowed.
2. Go to 99c store or online and buy cheap but sturdy, preferably single piece, $1/each paring knife+fork+spoon+material roll holster (ex: pink Hello Kitty best option!) similar to knife rolls used by professional chefs to carry inside your jacket front inside pocket.

If anybody ask you "why are carrying your own cutlery everywhere" just tell them you are germeaphobe and concerned with local eateries cleaning habits, plus as a journalist you often eat on the run!

I've got a swiss army knife and a multi-tool that I use on occasion and they work out but they are a bit heavy in my pocket. Additionally, the Swiss army knife doesn't have a clip so it keeps falling out of my pockets all the time. I want something light and small that I can carry around freely and unobtrusively.

Anyone know the rationale behind why locking blades are banned? It seems to me that they are actually safer because they won't fold up on your hand. And you could stab someone just as well with a slip blade.

If I wasn't to take a knife to Europe what would y'all recommend based on my criteria?

Let me stop you right there. As a journalist, your job is to travel and cover a story, nothing more. Not to question the logic of another country's knife carry laws.
I did not carry a knife with me to Taiwan (not even my Swiza SAK) when I was attending Computex and I'm fine.

I've got a swiss army knife and a multi-tool that I use on occasion and they work out but they are a bit heavy in my pocket. Additionally, the Swiss army knife doesn't have a clip so it keeps falling out of my pockets all the time. I want something light and small that I can carry around freely and unobtrusively.

Anyone know the rationale behind why locking blades are banned? It seems to me that they are actually safer because they won't fold up on your hand. And you could stab someone just as well with a slip blade.

If I wasn't to take a knife to Europe what would y'all recommend based on my criteria?
IMG_20170522_160729_448_zps938cyekx.jpg

These suspension clips work wonders on a SAK. They're not terribly expensive either.

Let me stop you right there. As a journalist, your job is to travel and cover a story, nothing more. Not to question the logic of another country's knife carry laws.

Oh wow! You are 100% correct. I never thought of it like that. I wish more of our reporters and journalist would have that attitude.
Thank you for your opinion.:)

I hate to be on a bandwagon, but seriously, for international travel you really can't beat a SAK. Tons of functionality, classy styling (depending on color) and almost universally legal.

I like to travel with a small multitool as well, but I never consider it my "knife". They're just too cumbersome for me to keep in the pocket. I like the Gerber Dime. Small enough to not raise concern, big enough to still be useful and cheap enough to lose. The Dime + SAK should fall within your budget as well.

+1

CAM03395_zpsklgsxvwy.jpg

I carried exactly that combo during my holidays in the Spanish and French Pyrinees, and that was what I had on my person going through the border between the countries.

CAM03262_zpsssl9fs33.jpg

Never had a problem using them in the cities I visited, or the places I went to.
IMG_20170522_160729_448_zps938cyekx.jpg

These suspension clips work wonders on a SAK. They're not terribly expensive either.

and those were a true game-changer for how I carry SAKs from the moment I tried my first one

20161220_134322_zpsb6h5u2zy.jpg

excellent for flashlights, MTs and other "man toys"! ;)

20161214_081912_zps7ih5lrmr.jpg

Why not? You can carry anything you want in Taiwan. They love knives in Taiwan...

In the near-decade I lived in Taiwan, the only knife I carried there was an SAK Spartan. In that time, the only other people I saw carrying knives were an American friend who had some type of Boker locking folder, and a tall, suited gangster across a street who chased down a prostitute trying to escape a "barber shop" brothel and pulled out a very oversized switchblade to make sure nobody else got any brave ideas. It wasn't uncommon for some people there to act surprised or scared when I would pull out my SAK's main blade to use it, but not when using the bottle opener.

I'm not saying other people didn't carry folders unseen/concealed, because that would be impossible to know; but there was not a big knife-carry culture in Taiwan, at least in the cities. Now, I left there nearly 25 years ago. Chances are that in the intervening years, knife laws would have become stricter, as they seem to do.

I would NOT recommend taking any knives to Japan.

Jim

Last edited:
There are countries in Europe where you can carry EXACTLY whatever the hell you want as far as knives go. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you've adjusted your criteria to where you're going. I think you might like something out of the Kershaw line, for an example a Kershaw Cryo or Kershaw Emerson CQC7K.

Carry around a sturdy enough Pen, You know one that you can really take a stab at some paper with.
Pair it with a ultrabright flash light, and a SAK Look for one with red or pink scales.

I did not carry a knife with me to Taiwan (not even my Swiza SAK) when I was attending Computex and I'm fine.

Glad to hear you made it through the harrowing dangers of Taiwan Computex unscathed! :D

Many journalists are sent afield and head into unknown territory and unpredictable situations, where it's important to have a cutting tool. They have to think on their feet. Hell, these days it seems traveling journalists could use one of these:

PdQWOa6.jpg

In the short history of the free press and the profession of journalism, this is a time of abysmal respect for news reporters, who are sometimes targeted specifically almost as if they were war combatants. In a conflict zone, many actors don't want their side of the story covered, they want the world's eyes put out.

Seems like carrying a small knife is a smart idea for everyone, regardless. Journalists certainly don't need them any less than other professionals.

Last edited:
In Spain you cannot actually carry anything, and its up to the law enforcement criteria to decide if it is justified for you to have it on you or not.

Weird, for some reason I thought in Spain it was common to carry homemade garrotes, shards of glass and disposable shanks. :confused:

Weird, for some reason I thought in Spain it was common to carry homemade garrotes, shards of glass and disposable shanks. :confused:

as in the USA, owning at home does not equal carrying.
You should know some countries and states allow possession but forbid carrying or having on your person :thumbsup:

SAK on a lanyard. I have a about 18-inch, 1/8-inch thick bungie type lanyard, which I can do about 95% of what I need to with the lanyard around my belt. I put a loop on one end of the lanyard, then run the SAK thru the loop and around my belt. If I need to do something where I cannot reach with the lanyard attached I do not have to unfasten my belt to use it, just run the SAK back thru the loop. I have carried a OH SAK like that for the last 16 years and have not lost it, where as even with a good pocket clip you can lose your knife. As pointed out an SAK is known world wide and not considered "Offensive", do not carry a locking blade knife. Just get a Farmer or a Camper and you should be good to go. John
PS Maybe one with a corkscrew for Europe.

Back