Cheap source of hard steel? (for abrasive testing)

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Mr.Wizard, Dec 22, 2019.

1. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    Well, that is a tough question to answer. A Cleveland HSS blank from their heyday would undoubtedly be in the mid to high 60's Rc. However, around a decade or more ago they started having even their flagship Mo-Max HSS made in Mexico, and today I believe it's made in China. Anything goes when QC isn't being monitored like it should.

There are varying grades of HSS also. If you want a really hard one look for something like T15.

2. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    In that same McMaster-Carr catalog DieMaker listed, here's the hss body hacksaw and power hacksaw blades that should be fully hard.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/hacksaw-blades/=3e0ea8f2d92145a18b9cd04e2ec2d623k4oiqwis
    Looks like $11 plus for a pack of 10.
    or the least expensive power blade for $16 plus.

I also have a few knives made from Starrett hss power hacksaw blades, they are good but a little softer than the ones made from parting tools.

Mr.Wizard likes this.
  3. Diemaker

Diemaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2017
    Ok, did a little research and it looks like M2 is 65-68 HRC which is a little harder than I was expecting. As I said earlier all I cared about was how long the tool would hold an edge while machining parts, not how hard it was. In my defense on the drill bits, I was responding to the ops needs and don't think grinding on the flutes would be desirable given the varying bevel widths vs grinding on a smooth shaft. I too have done this testing stones and the bevel width consistency is important.

Natlek and Mr.Wizard like this.
  4. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    I would certainly agree there as well.