Check out this grinder I found in at Grizzly

Grinder
I thought it would make a good general purpose grinder, or maby for hollow grinding. Only drawback is it's 3 phase (But it is 4 hp), but add a VFD, and your all set. For $595 The price isn't bad. Also anyone know if 3 x 79" belts are readly available?

Bailey Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
3x79? I have never heard of that size before. I wonder if it would make it difficult to find higher grits.

I just looked through the tru-grit catalog, they don't carry that size. To me that's not a good sign as they usually have pretty much every size you could want. I'll bet you have to use grizzly's belts with it.

Rick

Speaking of belts, how long does it take to change one? Looks painful to me. A 1hp or 2hp VFD is relatively affordable these days, a 4hp, not so affordable. You might as well just get a KMG.

These types of grinders are all over the place here in Europe. They are good for metal working shops but not nearly so good for blade grinding as the machines knifemakers normally use. The belt width is 75mm and is an industry standard. The asian tool making firs have been offering their "versions" of these machines for a while here and you find them on German ebay. I guess that's what Grizzley is selling.

Danbo

Platinum Member
Hey, if the belts were easy to find, I'd be willing to try one. But, for that kind of money, you could get a KMG.

I know for my money, I'd get a KMG, but I thought it was kinda neat with a 4 hp motor and all.

The general design is solid, I have no idea about the quality Grizzley offers. It's just that the design of the grinder isn't too great for hollow grinding knives. For hogging steel in a metal shop, they are great.

Looks like a pretty useful second or third grinder. I sure like the idea of all that power! :D Too bad about the small contact wheel though. I think it'd be pretty easy to get belts for it, most belt places will make any size you want.