Check out this old Axe head..The other way of steeling the bit..(pics)

I bought this old axe head for $5 the other day..I dont know why it just kinda called to me..After a vinegar clean up you can see that some blacksmith had either re-steeled this axe or added the cutting bit by overlapping the bit around the outside of the blade instead of between the checks which was a more common way(if you look close you can see the weld seams)..Ive seena couple like this in museum texts but never in person..Kinda cool, Im glad I spent that $5:D Oh and yes I had to grind on the bit a little:grumpy: It was nothced badly but I didnt have to grind much and i followed the original shape exactly..I may slap a handle in it and put it back to work :thumbup:
100_7093.jpg

100_7094.jpg

100_7091.jpg

100_7097.jpg

100_7098.jpg

I'd say you got a good deal for sure. Good old country engineering on the re-bit. Are you going to clean it up some more? It would be cool to bring it back to life.

Square_peg

Basic Member
....After a vinegar clean up you can see that some blacksmith had either re-steeled this axe or added the cutting bit...

I love finding old tools with evidence of smith work on them. Immediately ups the cool factor of the tool. Great find!

Hey Kentucky,
I'll make you a great deal! When you're done cleaning it up, putting a handle on it, and making a sheath, I'll double your original purchase!;) Just kidding...

That bit looks sort of thick, on the heel, almost blunt or flat. Is that just the lighting in the pic, or?

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC