Check this blade out

Josh Rider

Stuff maker
I found a guy selling this online.
He didn't want much for it so I bought it.
I'm thinking about cutting a piece off and getting it tested by fastenal.
I have some friends that want full tang tomahawks so i figured this will work.

I haven't measured yet, but I'm guessing it's around 1/4".
It's a beast!

Cool man, great score! Curious as to what that will Rockwell at!

Me too! I have no clue. Even if it's something I can hack up with an angle grinder and mess around with, it should be fun. :thumbup:

I found a guy about 20 miles from me selling it. Definitely will spot anneal any holes. Any idea what steel it could be?

I found a guy about 20 miles from me selling it. Definitely will spot anneal any holes. Any idea what steel it could be?
Nope. used to say it was L6, but doubt it now. I treat it like most simple carbon steel. Heat to around 1500 and quench in canola.

I picked up a 32" one of these 6 months ago. Great material for knives, hatchets machetes, etc.
It is super tough. i usually cut out and profile a batch of knives from it and throw them whole into a just well burning fire for an half hour minimum and let them air cool. this usually softens it up enough to drill holes and make grinding the bevels a lot easier. I later do a heat treat/quench to harden it back up
that'll last forever, i've cut at least 15 8"-ish knives out of it and one hatchet and i still have half of it left. Keeping my eye out for another one

Back