1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Check this out

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by TheChunk91, Aug 18, 2018.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Reply of the week. :thumbsup:

2. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I certainly agree GEC sells it and they service what they sell. Not shunning blame from anyone. My wife and I own two businssses and are emphatic that we service what we sell even after the manufacturer warranty expires:thumbsup:

neal70 likes this.
  3. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I agree that GEC should habour the complaint and deal with it- and would be surprised at GEC if they didnt, I didnt state that GEC should be above dealing with this, My comment is that GEC didnt make the Steel- they obviously have external customers who they commision - and if there were to be continous faults with the Steel - obviously supply would change- No Cutler in the history of Knife making has been immune to this very thing happening to them- so are they all to be slotted into the comment of having poor Steel in their knives? It's How the Cutler deals with Customer service is what pulls them through this.
    To blame GEC for this is not looking at the real issue and fault and is a totally bias comment and not dealing with the facts at hand -period.

Hey...I like GEC , but also like a lot of other Cutlers as well- anyone of them would hear from me if there were to be a fault, the difference is that I am real about what is at hand - if its a workmanship fault I will call it, if its a Broken Spring - I will gauge how the firm deals with it before I would pass judgement.

neal70, meako, Lostball and 1 other person like this.
  4. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks for clarifying you earlier post Duncan.

neal70 likes this.
  5. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    No problem Sir! and I feel for you- I was honestly shocked when I awoke and found my Case Collab with a busted spring sticking out- your photo brought me straight back there :eek: what was really weird is my knife was closed - like yours and I know for a fact that the Knife was working fine- like yourself on this occasion.

Recently I bought a early-ish Sheffield, I just bought the Knife as I had never seen a G.Ibberson ( which is a great Cutler firm which great depth of History ) with the Stamping of their Violin with G. IBBERSON- UK.
    as I said I had never seen the "U.K" on Ibbersons stampings before this...so I bought the Knife for a learning/ interest piece.

Got the Knife- Cool- not a pretty one - but it was quite stiff and Gunky - and I was checking the knife out as I sat in my office - put the Knife down at half open.....

Going through a few things I heard this Sharp and Loud "PING".... it sounded like someone had thrown a little Steelie ball very hard & fast against my steel Cabinets...I got from my chair and looked all around and just could not find the source of this sharp noise....I sat back down, a few seconds later I picked up my knife and low and behold the Spring looked like yours! completely let go - in half - I was quite shocked at how violently the Spring let go with such force for such a small piece of Metal, it was it's time I guess!

neal70 and meako like this.
  6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Ouch! :eek: It happens sometimes unfortunately :(

Oh Duncan! :eek: :( What was the pattern my friend? :thumbsup:

I've seen broken springs commonly on UK Burma Knives :(

neal70 likes this.
  7. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    neal70 likes this.
  8. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I have had two broken springs in my memory; a Schrade Cut Co Jack, and an older German congress (name??). Seems a steel flaw or other mishap can happen to any spring at any time!
    I agree, the real issue is whether to cutlery makes it right!!

neal70 and meako like this.
  9. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Hey you guys get off @Campbellclanman Duncan's back Willya.
    His country is in mourning once again.
    The All Blacks only managed to flog the Wallabies by a meagre 25 points at the weekend...to a full blooded Kiwi this type of thing is a national disgrace.
    The only way forward is to have the squad crucified as a warning to younger players that this winning margin is not enough.
    Meanwhile in Oz they make up more excuses to numb the thought of the next encounter.

10. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Hi Everyone
    Re-awakening this Thread for a the latest in Broken Springs.

I was sitting down and going through my knives- making sure that I renaissance Wax them all- anyhow I opened up one box just recently and went through each one, I picked up this near Brand New Beautiful Queen HJ ( gifted to me by Mr. Paul Hilborn ) and the Blade simply fell out from the Liner like a dead guys arm from underneath a cover a body Stretcher in a movie :eek: :(- immediately I knew what was the problem- and this is the third time I personally have been involved with a Broken Spring on one of my Knives...

My first was a Tony Bose / Case Collab - in beautiful condition - I remember I was sitting in the Movies using the Knife as you would describe a worry stone- went home put it down on my Desk= came out in the Morning and there it was- Broken Spring hanging out :confused:

Spring number two to go on me was when I just received a Ibberson with a sort-of weirs Tang stamp- which is why I bought it- opened it up and the old Knife was pretty gunky- so while I was mucking around with it- I placed it on my desk and went into my e-mails.... next minute "Ping" real sharp and loud...Spring Number 2 visited.

This time the 3rd Spring break happened who knows- sometime during storage fully closed - I was thinking that how on Earth could a Spring break when a Knife is closed- but this tells me there must be some continuous Pressure on the Spring the Way it is Pinned and then locked down by the Blade when closed - because never ever in a million years will you get a piece of Metal, lay it on your Bench, and come back and it's broken in two - there has to be pressure to make these Springs decide to go in the middle of the night, I am not a Knife Maker so do not fully understand the complete concept of just how much pressure is on a Spring when the Knife is closed - but there just has to be some.

So far for me is a Case, Sheffield and a Queen, all Stellar Knife Companies.

Here is Spring number three...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

neal70, JohnDF and paulhilborn like this.
  11. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Sorry to see that happen Duncan. The spring on mine broke when it was closed as well.

neal70 likes this.
  12. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you my friend - its just part of it isn't it - nothing we nor the manufacture has control of - interestingly enough at the broken end of the spring- half the metal was slightly Whiter than the rest- the fault I'm guessing?

neal70 likes this.
  13. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Alright, since you simply can not take care of your knives, pack them up and send them to me, something rendezvous comes to mind as wello_O:eek::D

Now on a serious note Duncan, sorry to hear of you misfortune.....now get packin:);)

14. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Lol... my friend Paul, if you keep this up, I WILL tell what happened in that Motel room that night, the truth as well as some sparkly bits to make the story even more interesting :D :oops:

neal70 likes this.
  15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The pictures and stories in this thread have been informative and eye-opening for me; thanks for sharing your experiences! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: But now I have something new to worry about. :eek::rolleyes: It's hard to sleep as I lie in bed listening for the sound of "Spring Ping" from the cupboard in which my knives are stored one floor directly below my bed! :(

- GT

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    btb01 and neal70 like this.
  16. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    @5K Qs Now you got me worried about my knees and my knives!

neal70 likes this.
  17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Spell checkers and auto "correct" are the bane of my existence!! :mad::eek:
    I can see why you'd be worried, JB. :D Although with knee replacements looming somewhere down the road, I suppose it might be proactive to keep some spare knees in a cupboard. :rolleyes:

- GT

neal70, TheChunk91 and JB in LV like this.
  18. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow that is not something you see very often- and hopefully will never see again! I have seen broken springs on vintage knives but knock on wood they haven’t happened while in my care.

neal70 likes this.
  19. neal70

neal70

Jun 3, 2015
    @Campbellclanman -oh Duncan, not an Hj! Please, send it to someone for a fix. These are just too precious to let slip away. Have you considered “spiritual cleansing” for your knives? When all else fails...sometimes superstition is the only answer!:D:oops::rolleyes:
    Thanks, Neal